Johnston Finnish Pancakes

Sorry for the late post this morning! Babyface and I had a marathon morning gym session which parlayed in a marathon pancake cooking session.

Before heading to the gym, fueled with the other half of yesterday’s Naked Green Machine Smoothie and O.N.E. Coconut Water with Pineapple. Someday I’ll write a post about my love for coconut water. I’ll also share my recipe for these chewy chia granola bars.

Kicked my own arse at the gym this morning. After yesterday’s blah session, it felt nice to do some serious sweating. Started off with doing 10 minutes of treadmill sprints. Then one circuit of the Muscle + Fitness Hers Starter Guide (avoiding the moves that made my shoulder ache). Caught up with Babyface on the track and ran a crazy fast sprint with him. He runs so much faster than I do! We did a little cool down walking and then grabbed a volleyball and played around for about 20 minutes. We had so much fun! Although unfortunately, volleyball was not the best choice for someone with a shoulder injury.

Came home and landed on the couch with an edamame shoulder pack. Thankful I found a use for these, because we certainly didn’t like eating them.

Refueled with a tiny carrot juice from Odwalla while the husband whipped up his family’s world famous Finnish pancakes.

I love these single serving bottles. Nothing drives me crazier than to pick up something that seems like it’d be a single serving and it says “two servings per bottle.” Look at these stats! Awesome. Only 100 calories.

Now about these pancakes. They are Finnish. I don’t know what makes them Finnish other than they are VERY thin. And my Finnish mother-in-law makes them.

They are INCREDIBLE. Normally made with all white flour, but husband made a 1/2 whole wheat swap.

The texture is the best part. A little chewy and dough, kinda like naan. With nice pockets of air on the top.

My favorite part is that they don’t soak up maple syrup. It just sits on top so you don’t have to use nearly as much as you would with normal, fluffy pancakes (which I also adore).

I lied. My favorite part is that my husband is the Finnish pancake expert and makes them while I relax on the couch with frozen soybeans on my shoulder.

Johnston Finnish Pancakes

4 eggs, beaten
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 c. buttermilk
2 c. milk
1 c. white flour
1 c. whole wheat flour

Mix all ingredients. Batter will be VERY thin (milk consistency). Pour batter into a buttered skillet heated on medium-low heat. Flip when edge of pancake looks cooked. Makes a massive amount of pancakes.

Serve with butter and REAL 100% MAPLE SYRUP. If you don’t you are not allowed to use this recipe. Seriously. My Canadian husband will know.

Served ours with peaches and blueberries.

And a glass of milk.

Leftover pancakes are AWESOME spread with peanut butter and jam and rolled up. Expect to see this snack in a later post. Happy Sunday everyone!

1. fieryirishangel0403 says

Holy crap those pancakes look good! They’re going on next weekend’s breakfast menu. Anything that’s similar to naan is a must-try in my book.

2. April says

I think they could be great for supper and dessert too. My husband has the same idea about having Real Maple Syrup as yours. His family has a recipe just like that one; after I tried them, the “regular” pancakes never tasted the same.

Oh, those pancakes take me back to my childhood. I used make them with my Grandma, and now I love to make them myself on a lazy Sunday morning. I have also made a cake with them by adding whipped cream, vanilla sugar and sliced strawberries in between each pancake and stacking them on top of each other.

What a lovely blog you have! I’m glad I found my way here:)

in finland pancake is a totally different thing than in us or uk, it’s supposed to be very thin and pretty much like a crepe, it’s called lettu.

pancake (pannukakku) on the other hand is always baked in the oven in a ovenpan, the dough is runny and very buttery. it looks like this when it’s ready.

in both pancake and lettu we don’t use any bakingpowder.

sorry, i had to tell this : D

This is SO good to know! Thank you for posting.

So what I posted here is called “lettu,” right? My mother-in-law makes pannukakku for Christmas, and I’ve been told it is a totally different thing. But where my husband is from (Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada) they call the pancakes I made “Finnish Pancakes”. They even call it that on the menu at the big Finnish restaurant.

Do you have a recipe for the pannukakku? I would love to make it.

maybe they use it just to avoid confusing people : D

finnish pancakes recipe is pretty simple:
    4 eggs
    7 dl milk
    3 1/2 dl flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    50 g butter
    (sorry i don’t know how to translate the measurements)

1. break the eggs structure in a bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and last melted butter.
    2. let it swell for 30min.
    3. pour on a oven-pan that has been covered by bakingsheet
    4. Cook at 225 degrees for 20-25 minutes

Let it cool and serve it with jam (and maybe some vanilla-icecream), this surely counts as a comfort food so the one pan gets eaten in seconds.

Hope this helped even a bit and keep up the good work with the blog :) love it.