Two bits of news

Quick post tonight. Just two little pieces of news.

Taco Chili

First of all, I’ve been informed by two family members that the reason taco chili is so named is because in the original recipe calls for a packet of taco seasoning! Go figure!

103110_2176.jpg

The copy of the recipe I have came from my Mama, back when I moved into my first apartment 8 years ago. She copied down a whole bunch of our family favorites and I’ve held onto them ever since. Apparently the taco seasoning somehow didn’t make it on the list. HA! You’d think after (a) wondering why it was called “taco chili” (b) having to add more spices than the recipe calls for (c) always thinking it tasted difference than my Mama’s that I’d figure it out. But apparently I’m not the brightest bulb, because I’ve been making the chili wrong for 8 years.

Chili Dogs

This all being said, I still had the chili on top of a chili dog. Made with these:

Veggie Dogs

It was delicious. Even without the taco seasoning.

The second bit of news is a little bit of a bummer. Remember how I was training for a 10K? Well I got the news last week that they were requiring all participants to run under a 12 minute mile in order to participate. A VERY aggressive limit. Especially for a very hilly course. While I’m sure I could squeeze under the limit and finish, that isn’t what running is about for me. I can only imagine how stressful worrying about my speed when running my longest distance to date would be. Racing should be fun. And that didn’t sound like fun.

So I’ve decided not to run it. I’m sad.

I’ve been looking for another race in the area, but we are nearing the end of the Fall running season and it seems the pickings are slim. Maybe in the Spring? For now, I’ll keep running and maybe even branch out and enjoy a few other fun activities.

Wow…what a bunch of punks to set a time limit. I have two suggestions for your 10K sadness:
    1) Go a day early or later in the day of the scheduled event and run the course yourself (I may or may not have been guilty of this myself..giggle)
    2) I am doing a 10K in early February in Charleston, IL (which is only 2.5 hours away from you) and would love to have a running buddy! Here is the link for their 10K : http://www.charlestonchallengeduathlon.com/page15.html

Whaaaat? I’m running a 10K in Chicago on Thanksgiving and they have a time limit, but it’s a 15/min mile – I’ve never heard of one that low. What a bummer, I’m sorry!

I know! The Indy 500 Mini Marathon (the biggest mini the country) and their limit was 18/min mile. 12 is ridiculous. I can only imagine they lost a lot of participants when that news came out.

Bummer about the time limit on the 10K. I’m LOL at the Taco Chili recipe, at least you know now what it was missing :) I think it looks freaking amazing!

Jen

Hmm, living in Austin where it’s pretty fair through the winter so that there are always races, it never occurred to me that in colder places, races might not happen during the winter. Here’s to you finding another race to run before Fall season ends!

Yeah, there are a few races around Thanksgiving and Christmas normally, but the vast majority are in September and October and May and June. I wish we had races all year long!

i absolutely love this taco chili recipe!
    my husband and i tried it for the first time tonight and it was a huge success! :D it’s already on the menu for next week again. lol.

thanks so much for sharing your family recipe. it’s delectable! :D

Comment Policy:I want BTHR to be a positive and upbeat place. Disagree all you want, but I trust you’ll do so in a civil and mature manner. Anytime folks get together in a place on the internet things can get a little bit sticky. I love that all of you guys are diverse and have differing opinions and I hope you’ll speak those for all to see! That being said, any comments that are spammy, snarky or full of personal attacks will be deleted without warning. .