it’s beginning to look a lot like christmas. (cinnamon eggnog oats)

We woke up to this fantastic sight this morning.

snow

Very, very, very early snow!

snow

We always have snow in December here, but normally just a dusting. The bigger snowfalls wait until January or even February. But winter decided to come early!

snow

I just measured and it is at about 5 inches on our patio and it is still coming down. It is SO exciting to have snow on the ground during Christmastime. I can only vividly remember one white Christmas in my entire life (I also remember one white Halloween). There is just something so right about snow outside and a blinking Christmas tree inside.

snow

Since I was in a very Christmasy spirit this morning, of course, we had to have a holidays-infused bowl of oats.

oats

This may have been the best bowl of oats I’ve ever eaten.

oats

In the pot:

1/3 c. water
2/3 c. eggnog
1/3 c. oats
1/2 banana, sliced thin
1 tbsp. chia seeds
Two shakes of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

And yes, I do actually measure out my oatmeal ingredients.

Pre-cooking. Note whole naner slices.

oats

Post-cooking. Banana slices are no where in sight.

oats

They’ve dissolved into sweet, gooey blobs of yum.

oats

Toppings:

Cinnamon chips
Raisins
More Banana
Maple Granola
Cinnamon
PB Blob

oats

I really doubted I’d be able to taste the eggnog in this, but I was so wrong. Sweet, spicy, earthy and totally eggnogrific. If you like eggnog, please go make these! They were ah-maz-zhing.

oats

Santa chai!

santa chai

Why no, that isn’t one of my bathroom hand towels. I don’t know what you are talking about.

breakfast

Today will involve a whole lot of Christmas crafting, with breaks for snow play. I’ve been informed by the Babyface that this is excellent snowman snow. Also, the Puppyface needs at least four or five more chances to stick her entire head in snow drifts. It’s her favorite winter pastime. Hope you are enjoying the snow if you got some! :)

puppyface

P.S. I am so glad you all are having so much fun with Swagbucks! It certainly is addicting getting free stuff. Disclaimer : I am getting referral credits if you sign up through my links, which is awesome. But I think Swagbucks is so cool that even if you don’t sign up through me, I want you to make sure you check it out. Go! FREE STUFF ROCKS.

1. Kristin says

You’ve totally got me hooked on swagbucks now LOL

Glad you guys are enjoying this snow we’ve been having! We got about 3 inches up here near Indy and my dog has been going nuts out in the yard all day, too.

Wowzers that’s a lot of snow!!! We usually have some snow by now, but we only have a little dusting right now :(

Eggnog oats?! Be still my heart!!!!!! YUMMM!!!!

Jen

Wow! That snow is awesome. I’m so jealous. We don’t get snow in Houston very often – maybe once every 10 years, and it’s just a light dusting when it happens. I wish I was there to build a snow fort and play “snowball wars” all afternoon, followed by hot cocoa and Scrabble. And the oats look fantastic. I’ll have to try that combination very soon. Thanks for sharing! – Jeanne

4. Teri says

We’re in Cleveland and we’ve gotten a TON of snow in the last 36 hours as well. Your breakfast looked both amazing and A-dorable! :) If you are close by (which I suspect you might be given your weather) can I drop by for a bowl of eggnogg oats? I’ll bring my own bananas!

Cheers on being pressed. :)

What a sweet post! I blog from Haiti, so unfortunately there’s no snow here. But, gosh, the oatmeal looks delicious–and I don’t even like oatmeal!

Congratulations on being freshly pressed!

Okay, I’m putting all that stuff on my grocery list right now (even though I already have some of it, but I want to make sure I have it all!) because that looks so0000….. good! Especially that peanut buter dollop on top–which I couldn’t figure out what it was at first, so, glad you listed your toppings.

Your pics are great and now I’m hungry because I haven’t had breakfast yet!

So Sad in Southern Cal. No snow here. Really though….I’m only a little sad and mostly for my kids who want it to snow here so badly. I think I could handle a week or two (during the holidays) but more than that and I think my So Cal brain would shut down entirely. Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing your snowy day.

The snow looks nice, but I’ll pass, been there done that! So glad I’m in AZ and it’s 75 degrees! The oatmeal and bananas looks yummy, though! Thanks for sharing!

evelyngarone.com

This oatmeal looks delicious. And I’m so excited because I have all the ingredients in my kitchen. Where do you buy cinnamon chips though? LOVE cinnamon!

I am so green with envy! Not only do you get super-mega-truckloads of snow but you get to eat insanely delicious looking eggnog oats?! Yep, jealous. I’m drooling just looking at the pictures! Ha ha As someone who has never seen/touched snow I am dying to be where you are RIGHT NOW! And even though eating eggnog oats when I’m not surrounded by snow feels kind of wrong, I’m gonna jot down the recipe anyway and keep it for future reference–just in case! Congrats on being Freshly Pressed :)

We here in Melbourne Australia are sweltering through a humid early summer and your early snow looks like heaven on earth… we never get a white Christmas here, unless we celebrate it in July! Love the eggnog oatmeal, it looks yummy..

I have always wondered this, so do all of your Christmas decorations have snow and snowflakes on them? Or does your typical Christmas decor covered in sun and scenes from the beach? Ha! Stupid question. :P

Yes all our decorations have snow scenes and are winter themed..Goes along with Santa and his suit I guess. Plus, most of the decorations of course come from Asia, which is also having a Summer Christmas, but they obviously make them for Europe and the US. The greatest irony is of course here we are singing all the winter carols for Christmas and using the songbooks to fan our sweaty faces! Merry Christmas :)

“it’s beginning to look a lot like christmas”? Just want to remind you, that Christmas spirit is not in snow or food.
    However, Christmas spirit is by doing good :) Thanks for sharing :)
    Merry Christmas!

Fantastic pictures. I’m not a huge oatmeal-in-the-morning person, but that glob of PB on top might have sealed the deal and force me to try it. (p.s. the use of chia seeds is a rather unique addition…I’ve added them to water before, when running).0

Oh yes! You have to try both of those. The chia seeds help to thicken the oats without turning it cakey (like what would happen if you just added more oats).

14. Jenn says

Look at you!
    I am so behind on my reading. I use bananas in my oatmeal too! I love how it sweetens it up without having to add sugar! Love it.
    And thank you for turning me on to chia seeds. I love the extra protein which I always have a hard time getting enough of!

Still reading my way through your archives :)
    (Totally not in a creepy way – I promise! And I realized I changed my blog template to the same as yours – again, not creepy!)

I’m certain these oats will be in regular rotation once I can find eggnog in stores. Mmmmm.

Comment Policy:I want BTHR to be a positive and upbeat place. Disagree all you want, but I trust you’ll do so in a civil and mature manner. Anytime folks get together in a place on the internet things can get a little bit sticky. I love that all of you guys are diverse and have differing opinions and I hope you’ll speak those for all to see! That being said, any comments that are spammy, snarky or full of personal attacks will be deleted without warning. .