packable fruit and yogurt parfait

Parfait literally means perfect in French. And I think it is a wholly appropriate name for this recipe. There is something so simple and yet so satisfying about fruit and layers of creamy yogurt topped with crunchy granola. And, dare I say, it is the perfect snack.

Especially when you pack it up in a Mason jar for easy transport. Just put the granola in a separate container and sprinkle on just before devouring.

I struggle to call this one a “recipe” because really, it is just assembly. I’m not going to give you measurements, because to make a perfect parfait (redundant!), it should be entirely personal.

My version has bananas, oranges, and blueberries with honey yogurt and granola. Yum-o!

I love parfaits for a snack because they include such a great diversity of food groups and fill that ever-present afternoon sweet tooth attack. Pack one of these suckers and it’ll never even occur to you to hit the vending machine.

What would be in your perfect parfait?

1. Jenn says

When I worked at a coffee shop we would serve these with a frozen mix of blueberries and raspberries. We put the granola in and it got soft, but I liked it that way.
    Love the idea of carrying it in a mason jar! you are so clever and creative! I bet it leaks less than it would in a plastic container.

I made a little parfait in a jar just the other day, and I used frozen fruit (cherries and blueberries), and stuck it in the fridge at work and when the fruit thawed, it froze the yogurt, so by the time I ate it, I had frozen yogurt + fruit, it was amazing!! It was a happy accident! I love using glass jars instead of tupperware!

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?

Thanks!

4. Alex says

How big are your jars for the parfaits? Also how big are your jars for the overnight oats and salads in a jar?

I use half-pints or pints for parfaits. And then pints for overnight oats and side salads. Quarts for dinner-sized salads.

5. Laura says

I was wondering do you put the bananas in ahead of time or wait till you are ready to eat them? If you put them in ahead of time how long do they last?
    Thanks!

Bananas start to go yucky after a day or so, so if you’re leaving the parfait longer, I’d skip ‘em.