It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right?
Well that somewhere is here (6 o’clock, actually). It is also 70°, sunny and the first day of my mini-vacation. Those facts translate into Thirsty Thursday spotlighting an adult beverage. Babyface and I have both been going at warp-speed since the beginning of the year and we both decided to take a four-day staycation this weekend. We’re going to do wild and crazy things like organize our closets, watch movies and drink cocktails.
Even though I love beer and wine (especially on a good staycation), I also seriously appreciate a good cocktail. Especially when the weather gets warmer. There is something so incredibly satisfying about coming home from a rough day at work and sipping on a perfectly mixed cocktail. And this, my friends, is a perfectly mixed cocktail.
A standard mojito is mint and lime flavored, but this particular drink focuses of the classically delicious combo of strawberry and lime. Pretty much, it is summer in a glass. If you have a pool handy, please go make one of these and go lounge by the side with big sunglasses and a good book. Doesn’t that sound divine?
Strawberry Lime Mojitos
Makes one mojito
- 5 fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced in half
- 5-6 fresh mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- 1 ounce simple syrup (mix 1 cup each of sugar and water, boil until sugar dissolves, cool)
- 2 ounces rum
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Club soda
- Lime juice and strawberries for garnish
- Place strawberries and mint leaves in the bottom of a tall glass (we used Mason jars), using the back of a spoon, mash until well smooshed.
- Add ice to fill glass, simple syrup, rum and lime juice. Stir.
- Fill glass with club soda.
- Garnish with strawberries and lime slices.