It occurred to me during this week’s Today’s Eats post that I talk a lot about banana soft serve, but have never actually demonstrated how to make it. I guess I just assumed that it was common knowledge. Which is the problem with being in the healthy living blog community, we tend to assume everyone know what chia seeds and coconut water is, but truthfully, we’re the freaks. 😛
Banana soft serve is absolutely one of my favorite healthy diet “tricks”. It looks like ice cream. It tastes like ice cream. It satisfies the sweet tooth like ice cream. But it is vegan, raw, dairy-free, sugar-free, fat-free and low-calorie. That stuff is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
No, really, it’s just bananas.
I cannot claim this as an original idea. It has been passed around the blogworld for quite a few years (I think this post at Choosing Raw might have been the origination point). But just in case there is one person out there that reads BTHR that hasn’t heard of banana soft serve, I must continue to spread the gospel!
The process couldn’t be much simpler:
- Peel bananas.
- Break into chunks.
- Freeze bananas.
- Drop chunks into food processor.
- Process for a few minutes until it looks like this:
That is classic, simple banana soft serve. Want to step it up a little bit? Add in a scoop of peanut butter and/or a spoonful of cocoa before you start processing. Or try mixing in other fruits (frozen cherries rock in it!). Or, you can just leave the extras to the toppings.
A few tips for perfect soft serve:
- The more bananas you process, the better it comes together. If you only process one or two at a time, you’ll need to stop and scrape down the sides of your food processor pretty frequently.
- We like to keep a bag of frozen banana chunks in our freezer at all times. As a banana starts to “go” we just peel it and add it to the bag. That way we always have frozen banana for soft serve, smoothies or banana bread.
- Want to have this for dessert? Drizzle with a little chocolate or caramel sauce. Even try adding some whipped cream and nuts!
- Want to have this for breakfast? Toss on some granola and nuts. And if you don’t stir it in from the beginning, throw on some nut butter for some protein and fat.
I promise this will fool even the biggest ice cream fan. This is definitely one of our go-to desserts for summer. My favorite part is that you eat through half of it and think, “Wow, this is so delicious and decadent.” and then you remember that it is JUST FRUIT. Yummy and healthy. Yippee!