smoothie booster packs

Smoothie Booster Packs

It is no secret that I love smoothies. I especially love smoothies for an on-the-go breakfast. I can make them at home and then take them along wherever the breeze takes me. What I don’t like about smoothies? The amount of ingredients they take.

You are probably saying, “Fruit. Milk. Ice. That isn’t that many.” And you are right, that isn’t! But to make my smoothies into super breakfasts, I load them full of powders, seeds and nutrition boosters. By the time I get out, measure and put away all of my additions, a smoothie can take upwards of 20 minutes to perfect. Ridiculous! And completely unacceptable for those of us that work outside-the-home.

So I had a moment. The light bulb went on. What if I put all of that stuff together ahead of time, froze it, and then just popped it back into the blender with some fruit and milk when it was smoothie time? Kinda genius, right?

The smoothie booster packs were born! In my blender, I tossed in:

• 2-1/2 cups coconut water
  • 1/3 cup chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup ground flax seed
  • 2/3 cup brown rice protein powder
  • 3 cups fresh spinach

I sent the mixture for a whirl and then poured it evenly into the cups of a muffin tin for freezing.

After a night’s rest in the freezer, I dipped the muffin tin in hot water, popped out the booster packs and tossed them into a freezer bag for storage.

Now I just toss a couple into the blender when I’m ready to have a smoothie and I’m adding a ton of nutrition (healthy fats, minerals, protein!) power. Beyond the nutritional benefits, the cold booster packs replace any need for ice in a smoothie. Win. Win.

It is also a great way to preserve any smoothie-destined greens that might be on their last leg. No need to buy a bucket of spinach for green monsters the next time you go grocery shopping, you have it frozen in booster packs already!

What would you add to your smoothie booster packs?

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I came across a post somewhere last week (I think I pinned it on pinterest) where someone had done the opposite: blended yogurt and fruit to make the base. Wheels are turning, my friend.

If I can just find a combo that works with coffee. I’m such an addict.

Your new picture looks so pretty! That was my favorite too.

Love this idea. Will make this to prep for my morning breakfast. Sometimes we can be lazy in the morning.

3. Kayci Z says

would it be fine to substitute the coconut water with milk? or would it be better to just sub the coconut water for regular water?

Dairy is always a little iffy in the freezer, but it might be worth a try. Regular water would definitely work, so would other kinds of fruit juice and maybe even non-dairy milks. Let me know what you find out!

This is amazing. I wonder how some of the ingredients I usually add to my smoothies would fare in the freezer (BCAA powder, flax oil, liquid l-carnitine)? I’m always nervous about changing the chemical properties of things.

Cassie,
    This is a genius idea! I’ve frozen farm share greens when I’ve got too many to eat (and more coming in a few days) but never thought to go the extra step of adding goodies.
    I get plenty of protein in my diet, no need to add more, but blending up some extra fruit, or even taking the time to rehydrate dried fruit–to blend up with the greens would sure make my smoothies faster.
    I could even use leftover whey from cheese making for the liquid.
    Thanks!

6. Lucille Ann says

My sister recently shared that she puts all the necessary ingredients for a smoothing in bags in the freezer to save the time of measuring out each day. Since we don’t run to work daily I thought this a great way to save some time; just add the liquid and blend, all done!