Posts made in August 11th, 2011
You know what phrase I really, really despise?
Ugh. Just typing that in my blog makes me want to burn my bra and picket something. I hate the concept that a woman is more feminine if she orders a salad. Or a man is more manly if he orders a hamburger. Commercials like these make me want to leap up and throw my sports-watching, beer-drinking fist through the TV.
Why can’t a hamburger be feminine? Why can’t a salad be masculine? It’s just all silly, really.
So in an effort to break down some food-related gender stereotypes, let’s toss a little bit of “man food” (OH GOD, NOT AGAIN) onto BTHR. As if my copious bacon use hasn’t been a big enough indicator that I have pretty decently sized hunk of tomboy in me, let’s throw some buffalo sauce on it.
These little balls of cheesy, spicy, chicken-y goodness just flat-out rock. If you know much about me, you know that I am not a huge fan of spicy foods. On the spice-o-meter my tolerance level falls somewhere between a newborn and a baby lamb.
Because baby lambs like it mild, dontcha know?
Thankfully, these bites are totally spice-level customizable. If you are like me, toss in a 1/4 cup of the baby lamb level buffalo sauce and call it a day. Have the tolerance of a fire-breathing dragon? Buy some suicide sauce and throw in 1/2 cup or more. And then keep those suckers far away from me.
Let’s talk about the blue cheese yogurt dip. Because really, the whole point of eating something spicy is to balance it out with something cool and refreshing. Enter blue cheese yogurt dip. This stuff is so good that I caught Babyface sticking his finger in the bowl more than once. Even if you don’t take the time to pull together the chicken bites, I highly recommend taking 5 minutes and making this dip. Eat it with celery. Eat it with crackers. Eat it with a spoon. Trust me, you will not be sorry.
We had these for dinner (served with a side of celery sticks and beer-soaked fries), but these would make an amazing appetizer. For a dinner-sized portion, I rolled them into 12 balls, but you could easily make a few dozen smaller, one-bite balls.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Bites with Blue Cheese Yogurt Dip
Makes 12 dinner-sized bites or 30 appetizer-sized
For the Blue Cheese Yogurt Dip
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup finely-diced red onion
- Salt and pepper
For the Buffalo Chicken Bites
- 3 cups shredded or finely-chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4-3/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, white and pale green parts chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Mix all the dip ingredients together well. Stash in the fridge while you prepare the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, wing sauce, cheese, green onions, and cream cheese until well combined.
- Mix panko and a pinch of salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Form chicken mixture into 2-1/2″ balls (for dinner-sized) or 1-1/2″ balls (for appetizer-sized).
- Roll the chicken balls in the panko and place in a greased cookie sheet.
- Before cooking, spray the tops of the balls with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until tops of bites are brown and crunchy.
Do you believe in masculine or feminine food?
I haven’t done a confessions post in pretty much forever. Guess it is time to share some of my dirty secrets and wipe the slate clean.
1. Babyface cooks a lot more than my blog would make it seem. He is this family’s hummus expert and bread baker.
2. I am craving Fall so badly it hurts. Scarves, boots, Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Oh, be still my heart.
3. The inside of our apartment still looks like it did the day after the tornado. I am handling this less-than-gracefully. I may have thrown an iron across our living room yesterday morning because I had no place to iron the shirt I wanted to wear to work. Seeing the above picture of our formerly cute and livable living room does not help this.
4. I have had no less than four cups of coffee this past week. This is bad. Decaf Cass is much happier than Caf Cass. Caf Cass gets headaches. Headache Cass is bad news.
5. I went to bed at 8:45 p.m. on Tuesday night. It was pretty much the most amazing thing ever.