thanksgiving for two

When I tell people that Babyface and I get two Thanksgivings each year (Canadian and American) most people get a glazed-over look in their eyes and talk about how great it must be to get to eat that kind of food twice a year. In theory, yes, but in practice, part of the fun and appeal of Thanksgiving is that you only get to eat that way once a year. When you do it twice in rapid succession, the romanticism of a big turkey dinner wears off.

So for this year’s Canadian Thanksgiving, I decided to do a little bit of a twist on the typical Thanksgiving dinner. Next month, we’ll be with my whole family for the traditional turkey and dumplin’s (at least that’s what is traditional in my family), but to celebrate the Canadian holiday, Babyface and I toned it down and had our own celebration of gratitude.

Keep an eye out for these recipes coming all this week.

Do you always have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner?

I’m cooking the Saturday after Thanksgiving and am “bastardizing” old standards. I’m excited. I can’t wait to see your cranberry sauce recipe and whatever is in those jars. Yum!

Glad you and Babyface had a good holiday!

That looks absolutely delicious, Cassie! And what a great table setting. I, too, am envious of your two Thanksgivings, mostly because I’d love an excuse to do fun twists on old favorites. Thanksgiving is done with my family and it’s very traditional, because we’re all terribly attached to our Stove Top stuffing and green bean casserole that all comes from cans, and the sugar-fied sweet potato casserole.

Maybe I’ll take a weekend this month and do a twist on the traditional favorites, just ’cause I want to. My husband will never turn down anything remotely resembling Thanksgiving dinner – it’s his favorite!

We have sugar-fied sweet potato casserole, too. :) AND we have a crazy jello concoction that is absolutely delicious. We’re stuck to those, too.

This looks fantastic! I’m totally staying tuned for all your recipes. We had thanksgiving dinner for eight last night (full of expat friends here in Cali) and it was pretty epic. Come visit my blog on Wednesday for the full recap, if you’re interested! :)

These photos are phenomenal, so amazing in fact that I want to be Canadian and do a Thanksgiving for two with the boyfriend.

Since becoming gluten free, I’ve been slowly sneaking gluten free-ness into Thanksgiving and turning it into a tradition. Gluten free stuffing, pie crust (of course with pumpkin and my grandpa’s fave pecan pie), gravy, green beans…

There is always coffee, dominoes, and card games playing into the wee hours of the morning. I love this part most of all. That, and Leftover Day.

Beautiful spread!
    I see brussels sprouts and dressing…yum!

My husband and I had a very untraditional Thanksgiving last year. We were living on a boat and traveling down the Intracoastal Waterway so I cooked for the two of us on the boat. My husband BBQ’d a turkey breast on our tiny grill at the back of the boat. It was one of the best Thanksgivings ever!

This is the first year that I didn’t have a traditional Thanksgiving feast. We just moved across the country a few months ago, so it’s just me and my husband, and we couldn’t be bothered to make all of that food. So we had festive spaghetti with meatballs. And I baked a batch of cookies for dessert. No, there are no cookies left. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hahaha! Okay, I definitely need to show a photo of our regular family thanksgiving. This is DEFINITELY toned down!

7. Kristina says

I’ve had your microwave cake bookmarked for a while. (Which was great!) I’ll be checking back for these recipes. Especially interested in the brussel sprouts! Great blog!