pumpkin pie pots with maple whipped cream

Alright guys, my recipes from our Canadian Thanksgiving celebration are finally winding down. Did you have fun? Are you totally inspired for American Thanksgiving? Do you want me to ship you a vat of mashed potatoes to bathe in? Because I would totally do that for you, you know.

We’re bidding adieu to Thanksgiving with a fun little twist on the classic, incomparable holiday dessertβ€”pumpkin pie. A pumpkin pie is awesome. Delicious. Simple. Perfectly festive. But you know what else a pumpkin pie is? It’s portion-control disaster. Just one more little sliver, just one more forkful, just a little bit of the crust and BAM, I’ve eaten half the pie.

What, that’s never happened to you? Well then you can go ahead and make a full-on pie. And the rest of us will make some adorable, individually-sized pumpkin pie pots.

These little guys are super fun and portable. Slap the lid on the Mason jar and you have a perfect fall picnic dessert. Or stack them high on a dessert table for a Halloween party. These would even make fun substitutes for wedding cake at a fall-themed reception.

Because of the odd shape of the Mason jar, I decided to veer away from the traditional flaky pie crust and instead go for a graham cracker layer at the bottom of the pot. Babyface said it was his favorite part. I have to admit, the graham paired really nicely with the creamy pumpkin filling and maple whipped cream.

I used four-ounce jelly jars for my “pots” but you could really use just about anything that is ovenproof. Ramekins, mugs, a muffin tin. Just keep in mind that the “serves 6″ note on the recipe is based on of each person eating one,Β  four-ounce Mason jar full of deliciousness.

Print this recipe

Pumpkin Pie Pots with Maple Whipped Cream

Adapted from Libby’s

The little versions of the big Thanksgiving dessert staple are a fun and cute way to keep the holiday food portions in check. Serve each pot topped with a sprinkling of cinnamon and a few pieces of graham cracker for dipping in the whipped cream.

Serves 6

• 1-15 ounce can of pure pumpkin
  • 1-12 ounce can of evaporated milk
For the whipped cream:
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring

1. Preheat oven to 425Β°.
  2. Combine all the crust ingredients in a bowl and mix until butter is evenly-distributed.
  3. Divide crust into six, four-ounce jelly jars and press into bottom to form crust. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, mix together all filling ingredients except for evaporated milk until smooth.
  5. Stir in evaporated milk slowly and whisk until just incorporated.
  6. Divide the filling between the six jelly jars evenly. Place jelly jars onto baking sheet for easy transporting, if desired.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in middle of jar comes out cleanly. Let cool.
  8. When ready to serve, prepare whipped cream by beating all ingredients on high in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Serve on top of pumpkin pie pots.

Do you have pumpkin pie portion distortion like me?

1. Sara says

So, living in a tiny Korean apartment means I don’t have the luxury of an oven. Yeah, that’s right. I don’t have an oven. It’s usually some kind of torture reading your blog and not being able to make the majority of your recipes. However! I’m keeping a long list of things to make when I visit the states in January – this pumpkin pie pot just topped that list!!

So cute! I looooove food in jars! Pumpkin pie filling sans crust is also a favorite of mine so these would be a great way to get the custard without the crust!

Amazing! I love the look of these. Pumpkin pie is my fave Thanksgiving dessert, but I only have a toaster oven for the moment, so a mini-pumpkin pie is just the ticket.

These are amazing! I’m definitely going to be making them for Thanksgiving– do you think they’d do alright in a cooler packed with ice for a 3-hour car ride?

5. Christal says

Fresh roasted pumpkin tastes tons better than canned. Just do an experiment & taste test, you’ll never go back to canned.

Thanks for the tip Christal! I’ve been meaning to roast my own pumpkin, but I just can’t release myself from the appeal of convenience. πŸ˜€

6. Denise says

Must make these for favors for my guests to take home after T-day! Everyone is always so full that they skip dessert. Perfect way to send them off with a little something sweet for later. Thanks for the great idea!

Oh, that is SUCH a great idea! I hadn’t thought about that. You could tie up a little bamboo disposable spoon with ribbon to the side so they can enjoy them in the car if they have a long trip home. :)

7. Jeannine Buckenmyer says

No WAY am I waiting until Thanksgiving to make these! They will be a (very) pre-Halloween treat. I might just make some for the trick or treaters in the family, all the kids love pumpkin pie!

I always wondered why people wait until the end of November to dive into pumpkin pie. :) Hope your trick-or-treaters like ’em!

Cassie – these are just perfect for our upcoming Thanksgiving dinner. My daughter and grand daughter both have celiac disease and can’t eat gluten. I can use gluten free graham crackers and they will love it!!! Thanks – great post!

9. Casey says

Just stumbled onto this – cute & clever. I can’t wait to try it. Does maple syrup count as maple flavoring for the whopped cream? Or do you mean extract?

10. Lee Anne says

This is fabulous! All of the men in my family are “big deer hunters”, and this will be the perfect little surprise in their food supply that all of us ladies prepare for them!!! I can’t wait to find out their reaction. Thanks for the wonderful idea!!!