what i ate wednesday: short days suck

Ohhhh, blech. Winter light (or lack thereof) is in full swing and that makes WIAW photos increasingly terrible. Sorry about that. We didn’t eat until almost 8pm last night. I guess I need to set back up the ole lightbox. On a happy note, a lot of these were taken with my new iPhone 4S camera. Love the new camera! Makes photography for a blog much more portable. In fact, the nice-looking photos from the first part of the day are iPhone and the crappy, discolored ones from later in the day are DSLR.

Anyway, onto the eats. With 100% less grease and beer than last time.

Breakfast was a yogurt mess. Yogurt, pumpkin, pear, banana, oats, sweet potato butter and a crapload of chia seeds. I got a little heavy-handed with the chia seed Mason jar. Delicious, but not terribly photogenic.

For morning snack, I dug into a delicious and juicy pear and a hard-boiled egg. I think hard-boiled eggs are one of my favorite foods. Is that weird?

Lunch was a lot of the same color. I hate it when that happens. Whole wheat spaghetti with sauce (Newman’s Own Sockarooni + beef + green peppers + onions), apple, madelines and the last few cherry tomatoes from our garden. We picked all the green ones we could before the first frost and are now ripening them indoors. Not quite like fresh-off-the-vine-in-the-middle-of-August taste, but still yummy.

Afternoon snack was some carrots, celery and hummus. Although I really wanted something sweet. I might have to start making my morning snack savory and my afternoon snack sweet.*

After work, I came home and “needed” another snack. Does anyone else suffer from post-school snackaholicism? It’s definitely left over from the days of my youth when I’d bound off the school bus, run down my driveway and head straight to the fridge for something to nosh on after school. I work an early schedule, so I’m usually home from work right around the time I used to get off the bus.

This time, no eats, but I did whip up a chai tea latte because I was fr-fr-fr-frozen. It was a rainy and chilly day yesterday. This mug + a crappy YA novel + my bed + Puppyface = happy Cass.

Dinner was late and I have the crappy photos to prove it! But the food was delicious. Babyface and I shared a pile of homemade baked chicken taquitos (highly, highly recommended). On the side, we had a salad with lettuce, arugula, peppers, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and lime vinaigrette. Of note, I don’t think I like arugula. Does that mean I’m going to get thrown out of the food-blogger club?

For dessert, we had the last two Pumpkin Pie Pots (which, coincidentally, are currently being featured on the Gourmet magazine website right now, so cool!). Babyface took the pie out of the pot and put them in bowls so we could have a little bit of ice cream on the side. Sad to see these little pies go. Of note, this picture may qualify for the biggest fall from photography grace for a recipe on my blog. So pretty in the original post. So unappetizing in this post.

Here’s hoping that by next week’s WIAW I’ll have a lightbox set up.

*When I write sentences I like this, I think, “could I be anymore insipid?” and then wonder why anyone reads this. I promise I’ll be back later today with less trite thoughts and more delicious recipes.

What was the best thing you ate yesterday?

The chicken taquitos were killer. Especially dipped in a bit of sour cream.

I am so glad I’m not the only person. What’s with all these people putting it on pizza? Ruin a perfectly good pie with arugula? Silly!

I thought I was the only person who wasn’t celebrating arugula. I can handle it as a part of a salad mix or on a sandwich, but would never purposely include it. And a whole bowl of it is just way too much for me.

We got a whole pound of it with our CSA last week. I tried. I really did, but I think it might just be donated to someone at work. ๐Ÿ˜›

Arugula has a very strong flavor, sometimes peppery, but othertimes just … powerful…pungent…overwhelming. I do like it on specific things ( I make a steak, fennel and arugula sandwhich that is OMG wow good), but I don’t serve it as a main part of a salad. A little bit on a pizza might be okay, but it might be way toooooo much, too, depending on the other ingredients. I love hard boiled eggs, too. :-)

I’d like to join the ‘I like hard boiled eggs club’, too! Especially when they’re from my mom’s chickens. I wish I lived in the same country as her so I can have those more often.

Cass, I have a photography contest going up on my blog tomorrow; I wondered if you’d be interested in participating!

I’m also really interested to learn how to make a light box. Can you please show us how in an upcoming post?

Oooh! Fresh eggs are the best. :)
      And I’ll check out your contest.
      And Babyface is the lightbox maker, so maybe i’ll have him do a guest post.

I really strongly dislike arugula. Once I put some in a smoothie. Stupid, stupid, stupid. When I was a kid, I was an absolute beast until I’d had my after-school snack. Some things never change…now, if I get really cranky, my husband will give me a snack.

I love the … bitter? flavor of arugula. I agree that “peppery” isn’t really the right word, but I’m not sure there’s a better one. I don’t love it solo, but just the right amount in other things really just move things to a new level. I used some tonight from the CSA in my pot of chicken gnocchi soup, and it was a winner!

Hahah! Black nail polish base + Wet n’ Wild Fast Dry in Party of Five Glitters on top. I got both of ’em at my local CVS. I love them too. So fun and festive. :)

Haha I also don’t like arugula! I love ALL the other leafy greens (I could be blissfully happy eating homemade kale chips and green monsters for the rest of my life), but not arugula. It’s just bitter and… not yummy. I also made the mistake of putting it in a green monster once (I had accidentally bought it instead of spinach) and that was just wrong. Waste of ingredients but definitely learned my lesson!
    And I’m a proud long-time vegetarian but I totally salivated at that plate of homemade baked chicken taquitos… maybe I’ll make ’em with tofu instead! :)

And I TOTALLY end my work/school day with a snack! It’s like a way of unwinding from all the craziness of the day, y’know? Like a comfort ritual… <3

P.S. That mug + your nails = most aDORable colorful photo! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    P.P.S. No post of yours I have ever read is insipid or trite. Your posts are all lovely and fun and informative, like chatting with a close friend :)

You could definitely do the taquitos with tofu (or TVP). The chicken didn’t even really add any taste, just more of a texture and filling property.
      And thank you. ๐Ÿ˜€ That means a lot to me.

7. Erika A says

Hard boiled eggs! I love them too. What I love is that I can make an entire pot of them (six eggs, usually) and then keep them in the fridge for days. I work from home (I’m a student) so when when I need my afternoon protein snack (gotta have the protein or I get cranky!) I can just grab an egg.

I also have the post-after school snack issue. In my family they are called “4 o’clock snacks” because school got out at 3:40 and we would get home around 4.