I can officially say that now that we are post-American Thanksgiving. It feels so good to come out of the Christmas closet and share my holiday spirit with everyone. Normally I start with the Christmas music and decorations sometime in October, but this year I vowed to hold out until after Thanksgiving. There is something nice about embracing the holidays one at a time and I think my resolve helped make Thanksgiving more special. But now? We’re in full on Christmas mode. The lights are on the tree, the stockings are hung on the
mantel bookshelf, and I am so excited to be posting my first holiday recipe of the season. And it’s a good one. Full of caffeine and alcohol and everything that is delicious about the holiday season.
A few years ago, my sister turned me onto the perfect combo of amaretto liqueur and eggnog. I know the typical eggnog spirit of choice is rum, but I find that the amaretto mixes in much more seamlessly. I tend to shy away from drinks that taste boozy and I think the flavor of amaretto blends so perfectly with the ‘nog that it doesn’t taste boozy at all. Instead, it just tastes deliciously warm. Which is exactly what you want out of a holiday beverage. Go ahead, put a shot of amaretto in your next glass of eggnog. You will not regret it.
Once you’ve had the amaretto/eggnog drink straight up, then you can move onto this latte. This dessert coffee would be a perfect adult drink while trimming the tree and listening to the She & Him Christmas album (highly recommended). Or, if you are feeling particularly cozy and decadent, a great way to celebrate on Christmas morning.
It’s Christmas, no one cares if you drink at 8am.
This is definitely not a low-calorie drink option. If you want to lighten it up, try to search out lowfat eggnog as opposed to the usual full-fat kind. Also, make sure to check the sugar content of your eggnog. I chose to add a touch of sugar to the latte, but if your ‘nog is particularly sweet, you might be able to skip the sugar all together.
Amaretto Spiked Eggnog Latte
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Makes: 1 large latte
Nowadays, there are a lot of great dairy-free “egg” nog options out there. Check your grocer’s dairy case for the soy milk or coconut milk options to make this into a vegan drink.
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 cup strongly-brewed, hot coffee (4 tablespoons coffee to 1 cup water)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce amaretto liqueur
- Nutmeg for garnish (optional)
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat the eggnog until very warm, but not boiling. Remove from heat and froth by either using a frother, blending with an immersion blender, or transferring to a Mason jar with lid and shaking vigorously. Set aside.
- Combine coffee, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk together until well mixed.
- Pour amaretto into a large mug, add in coffee and mix. Pour hot eggnog over top. Spoon eggnog foam on top. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with more nutmeg for garnish, if using.