Happy Monday, friends!
The Cook for the Cure Raffle is over. The donations are all in. The winners have been notified (check your e-mail!). I am absolutely in awe of the numbers I saw last week. We raised a total of $1520 to fund research and prevention programs in the fight against breast cancer. $1520! You know how much good the Avon Cancer Crusade can do with $1520? Here are some examples:
- Fund 15 mammograms for women without health insurance or with inadequate health insurance.
- Help support the Y-ME breast cancer support hotline. The only 24/7 staffed breast cancer support hotline in the world.
- Pay for one MRI or biopsy for a woman who couldn’t otherwise afford it.
- Help fund Indiana University Health and its research to identify risk factors that should indicate who needs to be screened more frequently.
- Partially fund the Helping Her Live program, an initiative in Chicago to help educate and prevent breast cancer deaths among black, Latina and low-income women who may not have otherwise had access to education, preventative care or disease treatment.
I was not kidding when I said that your donations are literally saving lives. They are. I am so filled with love and pride because of you guys. Thank you SO much for your support! You should have seen my Mom’s face when I told her how much the raffle had raised. Your generosity is making my whole family beam with joy.
If you didn’t get a chance to participate this time, you’ll have another chance! We’ll be doing it all over again in a few weeks but with different (even bigger!) prizes.
Edit to add: I just heard back from the winner of the mixer and I had to share this story. She is currently in cancer treatment (this week is her last week) and she’s going to give the mixer to her cousin as a thank you for sitting with her during her chemo treatments. I know a lot of folks wanted to win that mixer, but hopefully hearing that it is being put to a GREAT use will help ease the blow. The world works in awesome ways sometimes.