mint triple chocolate frozen yogurt shake
Remember when I got an ice cream maker for my birthday last year and it was pretty much the most amazing thing ever? I made sorbet and ice cream and even more sorbet. Well, the much-used summer appliance has been dormant for a few months thanks to the chilly temperatures. But I pulled it out this past weekend after I remembered last year’s Shamrock Shake recipe. I wanted to try my hand at a not-so-sweet, not-so-caloric version and this shake is where I landed.
I knew that frozen yogurt recipes were usually just as complex and sugar-filled as regular ice cream recipes (just basically subbing the cream for yogurt) but I really wanted to try literal frozen yogurt. So I scooped out some chocolate Greek yogurt, put it in my ice cream machine and the end result was a perfectly textured, tangy soft serve. I was really happy with the results! In fact, the basin for my ice cream machine is staying in my freezer so I can make frozen yogurt any time I want.
I resisted the urge to just eat the stuff right out of the machine and instead blended it into this
milk yogurt shake. This isn’t as sickly sweet as your usual milkshake (you could add a bit of honey if you miss that) but I think the tang of the yogurt makes it interestingly addictive! It won’t completely replace the beauty of a creamy Shamrock Shake, but it does make for a nice everyday treat.
Mint Triple Chocolate Yogurt Shake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Makes: 2 shakes
- 2 cups chocolate Greek yogurt OR 2 cups vanilla, plain or honey Greek yogurt mixed with 3 tablespoons cooled hot fudge sauce
- 1/2 cups sweetened chocolate almond or soy milk
- 1/8 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- In the basin of an ice cream machine, add yogurt and process according to machine’s directions until it has an ice cream texture. Remove from basin and freeze for 10-15 minutes to harden.
- In the carafe of a blender, combine frozen yogurt, chocolate milk, mint extract and mini chocolate chips. Blend until just smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve with straws large enough for the chocolate chips to fit through.