Posts made in March 6th, 2012
1. I stepped on the scale last week. I had a panic moment where I couldn’t button my jeans comfortably and decided I needed to know. Turns out, I had only gained about three pounds from the last time I stepped on a scale back in October. I must have just had a lot of sodium the day before or something. It did give me the warm and fuzzies to know that I can maintain my weight without that pesky scale.
2. Even though I know not to, I sometimes read comments on news stories. And the comments on the news stories about the tornado in my home town on CNN sent me into a crying fit this weekend. People can be so cruel. Please remember, there are real people with real emotions behind every story, every blog post, and every Twitter account.
3. I thought the training for my Avon Walk would be easy. I mean, after all, it is just walking. But let me tell you, after an eight mile walk this past weekend, I can safely say that it is not “just” walking. I can’t believe I’m going to do almost five times that much in one weekend. It’s the endurance part that really gets to you. It just such a long time on your feet, moving. My knees hurt. My hips hurt. Phew.
4. I simultaneously feel like I am thriving and floundering. I’ve heard this is pretty normal for your late-twenties. Can anyone confirm or deny?
5. I made two different recipes this week with beer in them. I’m not sure what this says about me. This new development could be related to my feelings about #4.
Do you have any confessions to share?
I promised I’d be back soon with a new recipe, and here I am! Thank you all for your outpouring of support during this rough time. You guys are the best.
For the past few months, I’ve been trapped in a bipolar cooking cycle. Thanks to the nearly non-existent winter evening light, I’ve been cooking and photographing all my recipes for the week on the weekends. Which means that every Saturday and Sunday, since October, has been crazypants. I’ll be testing and tasting in the kitchen from 7am to 7pm each day and absolutely exhausted by the time the weekend is through.
Wait, what? Weekends are supposed to be relaxing, you say? Lies. Trust me, I am counting the seconds until Daylight Savings Time kicks in and I can have my weekends back.
The bipolar part of this story comes during the week. Since I use up all my cooking energy on the weekend, I have to be dragged into the kitchen during the week. More often than not, Babyface fixes us grilled cheeses or breakfast for dinner or I take five minutes and throw together some leftovers from the weekend. If we’re really lucky, I’ve planned ahead enough to throw something into the slow cooker, but even that doesn’t happen too often. Our weeknight dinners are pretty sad.
That’s why it was particularly surprising when one of my random weeknight leftover dinners turned into a pretty rockin’ new recipe. We had some leftover cooked millet in the fridge and I decided to throw in some goat cheese, spices and eggs and bake them in our mini muffin tin. The end result was a heck of a lot more delicious than I expected! And it sparked a bunch of ideas of other kinds of grain/egg cups. This recipe using Mexican flavors was the one the bubbled to the top. It uses quinoa, a delicious grain that also happens to be a complete protein and packs in a ton of flavor thanks to fresh jalapeno, salsa and fresh cilantro.
These little guys work beautifully as a healthy, flavorful appetizer, a well-balanced snack or even as a main dish for dinner. I love how versatile they are! After eating a handful or two of them, we quickly put the rest into freezer bags and have them safely stored in our deep freeze. We can pull out a few and nuke them for lunch, or take a whole bag to our next potluck.
Each serving (about four mini cups) is only 140 calories and packs in 8 grams of protein and 4 grams of dietary fiber. Those are some pretty great stats! Especially for an appetizer than can help replace the deep-fried, cheesy, creamy standards you find on the buffet table.
Mexican Black Bean and Quinoa Cups
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 48 mini cups
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed under cool water
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1-15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray the cups of a mini muffin tin liberally with cooking spray, or insert liners and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over high heat, add quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all water. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, salsa, jalapeno, cilantro, cumin, cheddar, salt and pepper until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to quinoa mixture and stir until combined.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of the mixture into each muffin cup. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cups are solid and tops are slightly browned.