the one where i rant about bacon

I was originally going to write a post all about canning for today—and even have an awesome giveaway from Ball jars for you—but that’ll have to wait until next week, because, kids, I’ve got something to say. And it probably isn’t going to be popular.

I’m annoyed by bacon.

Unless you’ve been under a rock, you’ve probably noticed that bacon and really, other kinds of “naughty” stigma foods, have become really hip and trendy. I know it sounds silly to say food has become trendy, but when you can walk into an Urban Outfitters and find a whole section of bacon-themed goods, it’s trendy. Hipsters, unite!

Now, I have no issues with bacon itself. In fact, quite the opposite. I freaking love bacon. It’s delicious! And good with just about everything. Bacon rocks! I’d actually love to be noming on some bacon rightthisverysecond.

My issue with bacon is the fact that it (and again, other not-so-healthy foods) have become this calling card for women to project their care-free approach to eating. I don’t have disordered eating! You know why? Because I eat lots of bacon! I put bacon on everything! I love bacon! I’m slender and like bacon! Look how cute and quirky I am!  I can eat twenty pounds of bacon and still fit into my Daisy Dukes! That’s balance!

And that, in-and-of-itself, is even fine, in moderation. My real problem with this whole situation is the complete and total double-standard.

I really a lot of blogs. A lot of blogs. And a whole lot of those are food blogs. And the vast majority of them are written by beautiful, intelligent, clever, creative women (or else, I wouldn’t read them, obviously). But I’ve noticed an insane double standard when it comes to posting decadent recipes. A hypothetical example: a slender, single-digit-sized blogger can post a recipe with bacon and chocolate and cheese and twenty pounds of pork rinds and get lauded for how carefree she is about food. She’s a hero! She’s skinny AND eats like that! She must be super woman!

The double-standard comes in when a more zaftig blogger posts a similar recipe. I have my fair share of decadent desserts on this blog (which are way out-numbered by healthified, clean-eating recipes, by the way) and I have gotten multiple emails and comments telling me I shouldn’t be posting recipes like that. I’m not being a good role model. I’m celebrating obesity. I’m being irresponsible. I’ve even been told I should just stop trying to pretend I’m healthy because I post a recipe for Butterfinger Cheesecake or Bacon and Brie Mac and Cheese every now and again. Somehow, because I weigh 75+ pounds more than your “average” blogger it’s downright offensive that I post food like that. How dare I! I’m fat. I should be eating kale only! I’m a terrible role model!

If you’re a size six and eat bacon, you’re a hero! But if you’re a size 16 and eat it, you should be berated for your bad behavior. Why, hello there, double-standard. Nice to see you.

Oh wait, not really.

It’s not only in the blog world, obviously. It’s rampant in all of our media. You all know I love Gilmore Girls, but one of the top things I can’t stand about it (right behind Alexis Bledel’s painfully awkward hugs) is the portrayal of their diet of candy, fried food, take-out and coffee as cute and quirky. We’re led to believe that it’s an adorable characteristic that these naturally slender women can binge on pizza and cookie dough for seven straight seasons without gaining an ounce. There is something endearing about their pig out sessions. Why? Because it’s cute when skinny girls pig out. But there is article after article chastising Mike and Molly for portraying an overweight couple that eats unhealthy foods. Oh hey, double-standard is double. It’s okay for the beautiful skinny girls to eat like crap, but showing the fatties eating like crap is disgusting!

And what about the infamous Burger King bacon sundae? It finds itself in the center of the obesity debate. How dare they come out with such a fat-laden, caloric food in the midst of the obesity crisis! Yet, if a slender chef on Food Network suggested a similar recipe or a bacon sundae recipe shows up in the pages of a glossy magazine, it’s cheered. Now I’m in no way condoning the consumption of fast food, but what’s the difference? Why is it such a terrible thing from Burger King but so innovative and fun from someone else?

So why is it okay in our culture to be skinny and eat crappy, but not be fat and eat crappy? To me, there isn’t much difference. Even worse, it seems like to be skinny and eat crappy is even better than to be fat and eat healthy. How in the heck does that make any sense? In high school, I was the smallest I’ve ever been. I was about 50 pounds lighter than I am now, I lived on a diet of Honey Buns from the school vending machine and Mountain Dew. Let me tell you, I feel better, more alive, more energetic now at 50 pounds heavier than I ever did then. Food matters. And I think it matters a heck of a lot more than dress size.

I say, let’s eat bacon. Let’s all eat bacon, if that’s your thing! But let’s do it in moderation and without it being a social commentary on our eating styles. Just because I eat bacon every now and again doesn’t make me a lazy lardass who can’t control her eating habits and just because a slender girl eats bacon doesn’t make her the epitome of balanced eating. So let’s stop treating certain foods as if they speak volumes. Let’s stop celebrating slender women for eating something “bad” and let’s stop shaming overweight women for doing the same. Because neither of those are productive.

In general, let’s just…judge less, k? You with me?

Now go make yourself a B.L.T.

What do you think? Do you see the double standard? Do you think it’s fair? Am I overreacting? Do you think overweight people should be shamed for making poor choices? Do you think slender people should be celebrated for making the same choices? Do you think food choices should be judged, period?

1. Lynn says

Long time reader, first time commenter – just want to say that I agree with everything about this post. Thank you for saying it. :)

Dear Cassie!

Thanks A LOT! Even if I first thought “mmh bacon recipes” 😉 I like the topic, your post really is about!

I really hate the double standard too and you are totally not overreacting. It seems that being skinny means being healthy and being fit in our society (in Germany it’s the same!). You are judged by your outter appearance which makes it quite easy for the ones who are judgemental! See behind the curtain? No way!

I really like the aspect you’ve shown about tv-series like Gilmore Girls. I really like the series too, but honestly, I could not eat like they “do” (well, on tv) all day, I’d be double size after a few months. And feel worse btw.

Your blog is the best example for not giving any unrealistic weight-loss or healthy living expectancies! Everyone who is about losing weight knows, that there is going to be a day when you are craving for ice-cream, craving for cake or other “unhealthy” stuff. But why not make it yourself? Better than taking all these strange ingredients in bought snacks. If you want to stay thin or get to your goal weight it’s better for your overall health to indulge sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. Like the numbers of your healthy/unhealthy recipes show.

Skinny people eating crap have no problem with unhealthiness. But with unhappiness 😉

Please stay as you are and don’t take everyone so serious. If the people have no other problems than checking your recipes according to your weight… well… poor.

Greetings from Bacon-Lover in Germany
    Katrin

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. A million times yes. In a strange coincidence, I posted about this EXACT thing on my blog yesterday, and I actually used Gilmore Girls as my jumping off point: http://yearofkatie.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/just-a-thought-what-gilmore-girls-has-to-do-with-food-and-entitlement/

Sidenote: You’re one of my favorite bloggers because you are a perfect example that you can lead a totally health, holistic lifestyle and still be a little heavier than your average fitblogger. I’m also about 20 pounds heavier than most healthy living bloggers, and I feel a lot of pressure to proclaim that “I’M NOT DONE LOSING WEIGHT!!!” when, really, I’m happy where I am 90% of the time.

You go girl.

Oh my gosh! That is such an awesome post (I love all the screenshots) and we are totally on the same page! I actually saw an interview once with Lauren Graham where she mentioned how unbelievably unrealistic the diet they portray for them is. It made me respect her a ton!

I just wrote a post with the same observation. My sister and I can order the exact same meal at a restaurant – the waitress will ask her if she wants extra dressing and she’ll ask me if I want the lunch portion. To hell with them all. 😛

I guess this is just a tiny part of a larger discussion about size-ism in our society. It’s so sad that I feel like I have to wear my half marathon shirt to be “taken seriously” at the gym. Like no one would believe I’m strong and fit otherwise. It shouldn’t be that way!

Great post lover (as always, to be fair). It really is such a double standard. Even within my own household, this kind of thinking is so prevalent. My brother orders pizza at least once a week. And not whole wheat thin crust, organic tomato sauce and chicken sausage kind of pizza, cheesy, melty, sausage-y, bacon-y, Domino’s-style stuff. But on the rare occasion that I, too, feel the desire to order pizza instead of cooking something up or having a salad, he gives me SO much crap about it! I eat well most of the time, and even when I do eat “bad” stuff, I do so in moderation, and yet it’s somehow so okay to call me out and make comments whenever I do, because I’m a “weight loss blogger”. I’m still overweight. I should be trying harder, or something, I guess. Hello, double standard, I know you well (having a Chinese mother has given double standards and me quite the tempestuous relationship).

It is very frustrating, and you illustrate your point so well in this post. I’m sorry you have to deal with peoples’ pigheaded commentary. Do you think that How Sweet Eats or Eat Live Run has to deal with that kind of stuff when they’re posting things like deep-fried bacon maple donuts or cupcake recipe after cupcake recipe? I doubt it.

It’s interesting how people think they are “helping” you (especially your family) and really have no idea how much it ISN’T helping.

Yes, it is a complex situation when someone thinks they are helping and in actuality are actually hurting you emotionally…expeically when it is someone that you love and who loves you. When I was in my early 20’s, I weighted in at 227 pounds. Someone who loved me very much thought that if he kept telling me that no guy would ever date me cuz I looked like the broad side of a barn, well, heck, then I would lose weight:((((( He meant well; but emotionally, it was painful. Fortunately for me, I met someone who loved me for who I was, and even after I lost more weight than I weigh now, he continues to love me…40 years later. Yes, it’s funny how people think they are helping.

I really hate the over-the-top indulgent recipes that are flying all over the internet these days. If it’s not a cookie wrapped in a brownie wrapped in a chocolate cake and topped with bacon then somehow it’s not a good dessert. I feel like bloggers are trying to out-do each other with the outlandishness of their indulgence. I don’t even pay attention to the blogger’s body shape, to be honest. I’ve never given it a second thought. I think all of those types of recipes are verging on dangerous territory if they’re not yet there already.

I think part of the problem is seeing ‘healthy’-looking bloggers creating these extraordinarily unhealthy concoctions with regularity. It gives us the impression that it’s okay for us to indulge in crap like this on a regular basis.

YES! I totally agree. The oneupmanship is especially disturbing on Pinterest. Do we really need a brownie wrapped around a cookie stuffed in a cheesecake covered in Reese’s cups?

And even if we did, I think you are totally right that it gives the impression that this is “normal”. Heck, I might even try some of those crazy dishes, but as a very, very, very rare “experience”.

I love reading your posts, and this post is a fine example of why! See, I’m “skinny”, purely by genetics I assume, because I eat the junk. And you know what? I feel like total crap most of the time. I’m tired, my skin looks sallow, dry and drawn, I don’t feel healthy. Why? BECAUSE I EAT TOTAL CRAP! I’m working on improving how I eat, how my family eats, and I love that you share desserts and, yes, things with bacon, because I love those, and it helps me know that I don’t have to give up what I love. I just have to improve how I incorporate them. So, screw the grumblers. Do what you do. Eat to be healthy, not to be skinny!

…and it helps me know that I don’t have to give up what I love. I just have to improve how I incorporate them.

I love this comment! It sums everything up so very perfectly.

Yes! I was hoping someone on the “slender side” (although I HATE the idea of sides) would chime in! Thanks. :)

Honestly,(and this is all my opinion but….) it’s because in our culture we value being skinny over being helthy. We call skinny a sign of healthfulness (and it is a factor), but ultimately it is skinny not healthy that most people try to obtain. That’s why Bob’s book is called The Skinny Rules not The Healthy Rules. That’s why there’s a huge market for bat-shit crazy crash diets and the next big thing that will make us all supermodel thin.

As for bacon itself, I think that is one food that gets a really bad wrap. Yes, bacon is bad for you if you sit down and eat an entire pound of it. But realistically, how many times does that happen? You (in the general sense) are more likely to eat 2 maybe 3 slices as a side or on a blt. or you might add 3 or 4 slices of crumbled bacon to add flavor to an entire dish! I don’t think I could sit down and eat an entire pound of bacon at once even if I wanted to…

I totally agree that bacon gets a bad wrap. I hope people doing take me as say, ” NO BACON!” Because I eat bacon weekly! Because it’s delicious and yummy. And really, not terrible for you in moderation.

And I totally could eat a whole pound of bacon. 😛

To be honest, I wanted to and HAVE tried to eat that much bacon. As delicious as it is, it’s misery. I had to stop. So much sodium and grease.

TOO MUCH BACON IS POSSIBLE.

p.s. This bacon eating? It was a part of a party called “meat fest.” How healthy and sexy does that sound?

That’s precisely what I would envision happening if i attempted to eat a pound of Bacon!

You wanna talk sexy and healthy, in high school my friends held “food fest” which basically amounted to a trip to Old Country Buffet to see who could eat the most food. My stomach churns just thinking about it now!!

Well said Cassie! I too am totally disgusted by the double standard in our society. I would MUCH rather be at the weight I am now, moving as much as I am and eating well, than eat junk all the time and be “skinny”. So many people that are labled as “skinny” are just that, SKINNY, while their insides are desolate & fat laden with zero muscle mass. Why is THAT lauded or considered healthy?

In my early 20s I weighed about 40 lbs less than I do right now – and I was the epitome of unhealthy. Drinking all the time, fast food all the time, loads and loads of sweets. I may be heavier now, but I am most definitely HEALTHIER now. And sure, I could stand to lose more weight – and I’m trying to – but HEALTH is my focus, not size anymore.

It’s such a weird thing, because part of me does feel like there is a level of overweightness (new word!) that isn’t healthy. Like now, I feel like I’m 30-40 pounds more than I “should” be. Not necessarily because I think skinny=healthy, but because, I hurt. My joints hurt. My back hurts. I have a hard time turning over in bed at night. But I think that is such an INDIVIDUAL decision. No one should be able to look at me and say, “LAZY! UNHEALTHY!” just because of how I look.

10. Stacey McCain says

I couldn’t agree more!!! I, myself, am considered overweight (although I’m 140 lbs lighter than I once was). I eat plenty of kale and chickpeas, but also enjoy a little Cold Stone from time to time. I’m in the best shape of my life (did my first marathon this summer), have more energy than I dreamed possible, and won’t apologize to anyone for the fact that I’m a size 12… And I’ll be damned if I’ll let anyone make me feel guilty for enjoying some ‘Doughn’t You Want Some’ deliciousness!

You are spot on, motivating, and inspirational. Keep it up!

I love your comment. I used to be one of the skinny people who could eat whatever they wanted and be a size 0. When I turned 23 couldn’t all of a sudden and now I’m in a size 10. But I also am eating a lot better now (usually) and I am in the best shape of my life. It’s hard to NOT apologize for being a size 10 (especially in my family, where looks are everything and my sister is 5’8″ and 120 pounds). I am inspired by you!

I think apologizing for size is something everyone does at some point. I know a lot of naturally thin and naturally heavy women do it. It’s like, we’ve painted ourselves in this corner where nobody’s body is good enough, so we all feel like we have to apologize. No more!

11. Barbara Ford says

As others have mentioned, I see this easily in my daily life. My husband is a beanpole, and I am not. I work out twice daily, and watch carefully what I eat, and he works out twice yearly and eats anything he wants. Yet people are ALWAYS encouraging him to eat more (of anything) and talking about how healthy he is. It’s crazy.

And I totally agree with what Stina posted above…our culture values “skinny” over anything every time.

Babyface gets this sometimes, too. He eats the same way I do (clean and green, for the most part), works out a decent amount, but because he’s naturally thin, people always tell him “Oh you don’t need to work out! You’re skinny!” or “You don’t need to eat like that! You’re so thin.” The lack of education ASTOUNDS me.

12. AshleyGee says

I love this post, and I think you’re absolutely right. And it works the other direction, too: if you’re a larger person and someone sees you eating salad vegetables, the automatic assumption is that you’re on a diet, that you’re trying to lose weight. It’s like they expect to see fat people eating nothing but junk food.

I’m tired of the assumption that I need to lose weight. That’s nobody’s business but my own (and maybe my doctor’s if I trust him). If I’m eating junk food, do not assume that’s all I eat. If I’m eating greens, do not assume I’m trying to lose weight.

I think the force behind all of this is that on a whole, our society doesn’t really care about health. We’ve gotten really good over the past few years about talking about health instead of weight, but it really all boils down to what a person’s body looks like. I don’t look like I run, lift, and cycle 6 days a week. I don’t look like a vegetarian/vegan whose cholesterol, blood sugar, and enzyme levels are all totally normal. And because I don’t look skinny (which has never automatically meant healthy), people feel authorized to comment on my lifestyle, my health, my habits, and my body. Our culture has given people that sense of authority over other people’s a bodies (just look at the abortion/contraception arguments out there), and I feel this tidal wave of intrusion needs to stop. Immediately.

EXACTLY. The assumptions we all make (and yes, I am very guilty of this, too) is I think the biggest issue.

13. Coconuts says

YES to this post. YES a thousand times.

It’s such a shame that our society values being thin over being healthy. To the point where people (and let’s be real here, mostly women…and that’s a whole other conversation about sexism and patriarchy) turn to drugs, develop eating disorders, or do other unhealthy things just to meet this ~beauty~ standard.

And the thin girl who eats loads of bacon whenever she wants is supposed to be celebrated and envied. I wonder what her blood pressure levels/cholesterol levels/arteries look like.

And honestly, it isn’t even our business what the slender girl’s medical stats are. It’s not even, really, about her in particular. It’s about the people that follow and worship her. The people that think they aren’t good enough because they can’t eat like that and look like her.

14. Allison says

Love this post. You nailed it. I want to add another observation: for some reason a lot of bloggers seem to think that these out of control desserts are somehow more appealing because they’re made with all natural ingredients and like.. whole wheat flour. Please. You’re still making a cookie-stuffed brownie with caramel buttercream and chocolate sauce. Using organic fair-trade gluten-free ingredients won’t save me from a stomachache.

15. Melissa K says

Some people just have the misconception that those who are overweight are always trying to lose said extra weight. Lovely post.

YES! THIS! I’m constantly amazed by these. I went grocery shopping not 20 minutes ago, and the cashier said to me, “Are you on some sort of health kick?” I didn’t even know how to respond! Thankfully, the on-his-feet-thinker husband chimed in with, “No, this is just how we eat. Everyday.”

It’s like, overweight woman + buying produce = must be desperately trying to shed pounds.

Granted, I am in the middle of trying to shed some pounds, so that’s a little unfair of me. 😛

I think you are totally correct that there is a double standard with food, especially TV shows promoting eating whatever you want and being happy. I love bacon myself and have weight issues. I just had to learn to eat it sparingly but know that if I want it, I should have it.

I say post what you want, if it’s a decadent dessert, you can have what you want. Blogging is all about expressing yourself and it doesn’t matter if someone thinks that you shouldn’t post it. It’s YOUR blog, not THEIRS. I know you a smart enough to know how to control your self. I am the same way, I eat healthy most of the time but sometimes I want peanut butter pie and I’m not going to beat myself up about it.

I haven’t commented on your blog before but I read it all the time and I love that you created a new blog about your “new” home. I just bought a house in Feb and it is quite an adventure. Best of luck! I’m just a few hours south of you in Lexington. Cheers!

Tara, you are totally right. It took me a while to learn, but for the past few months, I’ve posted whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Hopefully people will like it, and if they don’t, oh well!

Thanks for commenting, Tara! And yay for more locals! A few of us Kentuckiana bloggers have been talking about doing some sort of meet up in Louisville or Lexington sometime, so keep in touch!

Oh! And congrats on the house! :)

17. Jaime says

Hi Cassie,

I completely agree with you. Such an eloquent way of showing the double standard. Also love the Friends reference in the title.

Keep ranting!
    Jaime

Hahaha, I was wondering if anyone would get that! Whenever I can’t figure out a blog title, it often becomes “the one where….”

AMEN! This post puts a voice to something I’ve noticed, but couldn’t quite wrap my head around. There really is a double standard. Also, I think tonight I am going to go home and eat some bacon. And enjoy it.

19. Stephanie says

Crawling out of the woodwork/delurking for the first time to echo what a lot of people have already said, namely:

1. YES. THANK YOU.
    2. Posts like this are why I love your blog and read it daily (sometimes more than once a day).
    3. Suck it, haters.

This post gives me the warm and fuzzies. I love Gilmore Girls as well and never really thought of how much crap they ‘eat’ on the show. Nuts. I’d be a bloated mess.

I’m a physiotherapist and I live by what I do. I work out. I run races. I’ve done a duathlon. I lift weights. I eat healthy good for me foods 70-95% of the time. When I tell people what I eat, when I talk about my races, etc, the most common comment? How/why are you not smaller? Some people really can’t get past the fact that you can be a size 10+ and be healthy, active, and fit.

It’s a really interesting culture we live in that we just completely disregards the facts (like, your lifestyle) in favor of something we’ve been conditioned to believe.

Very thoughtful “rant.” I wanted to give my two cents…

Every once in awhile, I get comments online or in person from people who don’t know me and pass judgment on what I eat. One specifically is a neighbor of my boyfriend’s mom. She tells his mom all the time “Oh my god, I can’t believe Lisa ATE THAT!” Thankfully the mom stood up for me and said “She may have eaten a cheeseburger but did you also see in the post that she biked 40 miles and burned 1700 calories?”

People will always make judgments and I say, who cares? Clearly what I’m doing is working–I lost 100 pounds through healthy eating and I’ve kept it off for 4 years. I’m doing something right. Entirely denying myself foods isn’t my motto–eating whatever I want in moderation IS. In fact, I had a piece of bacon with my eggs this morning. :)

I totally agree, Lisa. And I hope this didn’t come off as an “Oh my god, people don’t like me!” kind of post. I really could care less if people personally attack me for posting my Butterfinger Cheesecake (which is seriously delicious, y’all). I mostly just wanted to use my personal example to show the double-standard.

And it’s also worth noting, everyday I struggle with caring way too much about what people think of me. I am so, so much better, but I hope one day to be in the place you are. You rock, sister. :)

I did not think it was a woe-is-me type of post. I’ve experienced so many double standard from being 250 pounds to being 100 pounds lighter, I get it. It’s frustrating!!!

Here here – booo to the double standard! It’s been said it it’s worth repeating: everything (you want to eat) in moderation.
    My beef (hehe) with bacon: why oh why are so many otherwise vegetarian dishes tainted with bacon in restaurants? Believe me, if I was going to give up vegetarianism bacon is the first meat I’d eat but I hate it when my eating-out options are limited by the trendy, lets-just-add-bacon-to-everything mindset.

I totally agree! I’m not vegetarian (as obvious by my profession of bacon love) but why is it necessary? Same with chicken broth. WHY!? Veggie broth is a perfectly delicious substitute in an otherwise vegetarian soup.

23. shannon says

ooh, I agree, and I find the inverse to be true…when my pudgy self is “caught” eating blueberries at work, my coworkers are all “oh, you’re tying to eat healthier, aren’t you?” (No! I’m trying to eat blueberries. Nothing more, nothing less!). The assumptions that people make based on what someone is eating are ridiculous, and I can’t imagine they are often true, but I bet most folks, like me, are just too annoyed to pursue a correction. In the example above, the only accurate conclusion one can draw is that I am eating blueberries…anything else is pure conjecture and nobody’s business, anyhow!

And the gratuitous bacon recipes are just that…gratuitous bacon. If someone wants to eat them, fine…how is that a reflection on their person, or anyone else’s business? It’s not. It’s an expression of their taste and that’s all. In general the “everything is better with bacon on it” movement is kind of one-dimensional…just replace “bacon” with “broccoli” and see how fast people discover that there are, gasp! other flavors in the world!!(Though I have to admit that the Voodoo maple bacon donut beer that Rogue came out with a while ago was completely gratuitous, and I enjoyed every last sip I had!)

BUT BLUEBERRIES MUST BE A SIGN OF A LARGER PROBLEM, RIGHT? RIGHT?!

Oh wait, no. They are just blueberries! And bacon is just bacon. I totally agree! I said a few comments above. It is so much less to do with the actual bacon-eater and so much more to do with the bacon-judger (either positively judging or negatively).

And now I totally have a mental picture of a bacon courtroom, with a little bacon judge. Muwahahaha.

Shannon – I went through something similar. I eat a lot of fruit for my snacks at work so I usually have apples or oranges at my desk. A coworker asked me if I was on a diet because I had an apple for snack. What???? LOL

I have actually read that (and all the rebuttal posts on the called-out blogs) and I honestly think it’s a crappy piece of journalism. That being said, I do think some of the points brought up the article are very valid (the idea of blogger responsibility is a BIG DEAL to me). I honestly wish the author of the article would have done a better job of researching and less back-handedness so the article could have had a leg to stand on. It’s sad, because it’s a discussion I think needs to happen with food bloggers, and often doesn’t.

I totally agree with everything you have said, and all the lovely comments above. I have a younger sister who pretty much subsists on chocolate/crisps/junk and only eats about 3 types of vegetable and is allowed to have whatever she likes as she is skinny. I on the other hand will have to get all kinds of comments from my mother if I want to have a treat despite eating much healthier but still being overweight as I can only do certain exercise!

I think you look stunning by the way, you look happy and healthy and that’s the thing I like to see on a food blog – keep on eating that bacon!

Awww, thank you so much Sara! And the sibling thing is definitely a whole other conversation (say the girl with three older “normal” weight siblings). It’s…interesting.

25. Jennifer says

I understand what you are saying. What gets me is when did it become everyone else’s job to make sure that you eat right and dictate in businesses, schools, and every other food and beverage company on what they can sell, from what sizes and types of food and beverages allowed. What happened to monitoring your own behavior, being responsible for your own actions and deal with your own if any consequences you have done to yourself! I don’t need anyone doing for me what I am more than capable as an adult to do for myself. And I am also adult enough to raise my child and show a good example without anyones outside help. Everyone just needs to use their common sense when they notice their going in true wrong direction and alter their behavior for themselves and their families. There are so many programs now being paid for by our taxes for trying to deal with peoples obesity issues when this should be a personal issue to deal with. Basically just do right for yourself, don’t think everyone needs to be on a diet or needs other people stepping in when they can and could do it for themselves if they wanted to. Thanks!

I totally agree Jennifer! Somewhere along the line, we lost the whole concept of personal responsibility. And that’s INFURIATING to me! That’s why I said up a few comments back, my beef is not with the people making the bacon covered recipes or even those eating it. My beef is with the people that use that as a signal and guidepost for their own life. Have some personal responsibility. Learn what is good for you. Learn that eating a bacon covered donut dipped in cheesecake everyday is not good for you. And then go off and read blogs and consume other media with that knowledge. Don’t blindly follow!

And the whole educating your kids thing…Soooooo-weeeeee. That’s a whole other blog post (or series of ’em, even).

26. Carol S. says

I totally agree with you the double standard is ridiculous!

I long ago noticed how much jealousy I would feel when watching Gilmore Girls and thinking how I would love to eat all that crappy food and not gain weight. After a while I noticed something tho (and this is totally looking way too far into it) they were always leaving food behind. They would order something then not eat it or would run out the door after someone. I distinctly remember a scene with Lorelai taking a bite of some dish (fries I think lol) and then saying nah I’m not really hungry. After a while I decided that if I was gonna read anything into the Gilmore Girls eating habits I was going to read into the fact that while they consumed crap constantly they were never obsessed with eating food all the time. They would splurge and then just not really focus on food in the daily life. I would never say “nah I’m not that hungry” to a plate full of fries…and I mean never. That is what I have tried to tell my daughter while we watch the show together. Obsessing about food healthy or junk is never healthy.

Sorry this got long but its rare that I can share a gilmore girls observation lol.

I love your blog by the way I’ve been reading it now for quite some time!

No, you are totally right. I noticed that, too! Like, these two women are supposed to be coffee OBSESSED, but 90% of the time, leave their coffee cups half full when they leave. I know a lot of coffee obsessed people, and I’ve never known them to not finish a cup.

And AWESOME that you are educating your daughter and actually talking to her about food! That is just…amazing. I think it just doesn’t even occur to many parents that food is a discussion you ened to have. But obviously, with the insane amount of food-related messages our kids are getting, someone has to give them the “right” knowledge.

The problem with most food bloggers out there is that a LOT of them are women who have very disordered eating habits to begin with but because they are a size 6 the general population looks up to these people as Healthy Living Gods.

Size has nothing to do with overall health on some fronts. I have witnessed here lately a lot of bloggers chiming in on the love my size movement and although I agree with said movement I agree with it for anyone of any size. I have been on both sides of the fence.

Once a 300+# person, and now I am a healthy weight and like nobody’s business. My overall health as a heavier person was not horrible but I was doing life long damage to my body that I could have never seen. Now? Well I am in better overall health body wise but fighting cancer; so who is to judge who is in better health.

I believe the movement in both directions needs to be that of acceptance and a promotion of moving how you WANT to move, eating how you WANT to eat but keeping in mind both decisions have their effects and dealing with the outcome.

There is no right or wrong way to go about making healthy choices to meet your lifestyle and indulging where you want to. Just have to find the right balance.

YES YES YES YES! I totally agree on all counts.

I honestly struggle with the whole size acceptance movement thing because I truly believe that I am healthier now that I am smaller. If nothing else, my joints just feel better now that I took 40 pounds off of them. And don’t think it’s a coincidence that 40 pounds just melted off when I started exercising and eating whole foods. But that being said, it doesn’t make it a proof point for people to judge size or weight. It is so crazy individual.

I want people to feel amazing about themselves. Whatever size or shape or color that is “at”. And that’s what I wish the size acceptance movement was more about. There are some organizations (like HAES) that I think do a great job of getting that across.

28. Shauna says

This is why I love you! You really have taught me that being healthy isn’t a fad diet or a super restricted diet at all, but k owing the difference between a treat and an indulgence. Also knowing that indulging is good!

I don’t really have anything more to add than what has already been said, but. I love this post. A lot.

So many great thoughts here! I agree 100%. :) I just recently turned a bit of a corner myself, in that I realized that I’m 30 years old and missing my own life because I was so caught up in comparing. Now, I don’t care so much what other people eat, look like, or think of me. My life is passing me by with every minute I spending comparing: myself to others, one diet to another, etc. Comparing can lead to judging, which can lead to anxiety, which can undermine one’s ability to function well at anything. So, now I work out all the time because I like it. I have no goal in mind. I just like it. I changed my diet because I wanted to feel better physically…sleep better, have more energy, etc. Was there any magic thing I did? Nope. I haven’t cut anything new out of my diet (I still don’t eat trans fat or HFCS but that’s another story). I just started not beating myself up anymore, and the good choices started coming more and more and more. Did the pounds melt away? Nope, not at all. I still have quite a bit of chub on me, and it jiggles all around when I exercise, but somehow I don’t care anymore. I’m getting stronger, I feel better, and I can almost do one whole pushup. So, I’m pretty stoked. I wish everyone could just tune out all the diet, eating, and exercise advice for one week and let their brain relax a bit…I think maybe we’d find we don’t have to fight with ourselves as much as we think we do. We have a lot more good intuition than we give ourselves credit for. :) Great post, Cassie….love your blog and I always look forward to the next post. :)

You are absolutely awesome, Becky. I think the world would be a much better place if everyone was a little more like you.

30. Sarah says

Thank you SO much for posting this Cassie, I read your blog every day and the balance of your posts is what keeps me coming back. I like to read the posts of someone who is so real, has clean and not so clean eating days but counts them all as good. Your positive outlook when it comes to food is incredibly refreshing to see and I think the double standard is something that needs desperate attention. Also I have to say, Lorelai and Rory are awesome…but Michel looks damn good for a reason :)

Cassie, please don’t tell me that seriously people write to you about not being a role model and that it’s wrong for you to post “unhealthy” food recipes! What is it about people! So inconsiderate. First of all, why does the fact that you write a blog mean that you have to stick to some unrealistic rules about being a role model for everyone? And, what makes a certain recipe “unhealthy?” Eating habits are unhealthy. Food is not in control; we are (or not). And, why does our weight have to factor into any of this? Or our color, our religion or how politcal views? We are talking about FOOD! Is that the universal constant! You have a great blog and I am so glad that spoke up! Let them eat cake! Or not:))) Oh, excuse me, I have to go. My husband just threw some bacon on the grill:)))

Thank you, Katherine! I try not to let people like that bother me. Especially because I know that 99 times out of 100, their complaints are actually more about their issues than mine.

GRILLED BACON. YUM!

32. Pauline Shaffer says

Commenting on one of your posts has been a loonnnggg time coming! I love your blog first and foremost. This entry really hit home with me. The bacon trend is super annoying to me-(especially being vegetarian!) But I really relate to the size conundrum and the obnoxious media part.
    I admire you for many reasons but one of the main ones is that you seem to understand the whole Balance concept. I love all your recipes! I also admire your honesty with your struggles and successes with weight loss/healthy living etc. Basically I love your outlook and appreciate your words. :)
    Oh and my boyfriend is also skinny entirely due to genetics and literally can (and sometimes has) eat loads and loads of bacon whereas I have to work out daily and count calories-SO frustrating haha.

33. Kat says

First time reader….This actually caught my attention on Trapit. I love what you have to say. It’s very true how there s a double standard. But not only is there a double standard that it’s ok for skinny people to pig out, but how they think if you are “over weight” you must eat junk food and fast food all the time. In other cultures curves is a sign of good health and skinny people are though to be sick, so where did we go so wrong?

Thanks for this awesome article. I will definitely be checking out what all you have going on and look forward to your future posts.

Thanks for popping in Kat! :) I think we are so privileged in this country, that we’ve forgotten that having food—healthy, clean, accessible food—is such a luxury that a lot of people don’t have. And even if they do have, have only had for a short period of time. We have a very short memory in this country.

34. Kristin says

So, I have been reading your blog for a few months, but never comment. I am terrible at posting comments because honestly, I just like to read what you (and all the other blogs I read) have to say. But I have to comment today. Why? Because I said, out loud, ‘OMG that ALWAYS bugs me too!’. But that wasn’t in regards to the topic of your blog, it was for this: “but one of the top things I can’t stand about it (right behind Alexis Bledel’s painfully awkward hugs)” I too, own all the seasons and have watched start to finish more times than I ever care to admit. Every time Rory gives a hug, it looks like it is physically painful. How did the directors never catch that and fix it?!? Sorry this is random, but I had to share my love of GG for a moment! Love your blog by the way :)

IT’S SO TERRIBLE! It literally makes me cringe every time she hugs someone. Especially the people she’s supposed to be so in love with (like, when she hugs Dean, OH EM GEE).

It’s very interesting to me how most people now assume that overweight people want to order smaller portion sizes and that superthin girls want to order plates full of junk. I feel like not so long ago, the reverse of that was true. Not exactly a change for the better, if you ask me.
    As someone on the other end of the spectrum (I’m in recovery from an eating disorder), I don’t enjoy the stigmas either. I’m eating a lot more now than I used to, but I’m still eating really healthy foods, because I feel like crap if I eat lots of fries and chips and sugar-y junk. I understand that people are concerned for my health, but your family urging you to eat more, especially when you’re really full and physically and emotionally uncomfortable, gets old really fast. It’s unfair to judge anyone just on the basis of what they eat or post – you have to look at the big picture.
    Thanks for being awesome, as always! 😀

It is interesting that people assume that if you are eating healthy, you must be either (a) fixing a problem or (b) have an eating disorder. It’s like the general public doesn’t understand that you can eat healthy just because you want to and it make you feel good. That doesn’t mean you are trying to lose weight or have disordered eating. It doesn’t mean anything! It’s food!

You’d be amazed at how cruel people can get when they are hidden behind the anonymity of the internet. But I try not to let it bother me. :)

36. jeri says

The double standard goes the other way too. When you watch a cooking show don’t you generally assume that a more portly chef makes better food than a skinny one? I mean, who’s house would you rather go to for Italian: Mario’s or Giada’s?

It absolutely does! I mean, “Never trust a skinny chef” is a really, really common saying. Who says slender people can’t cook with the best of them? It doesn’t mean anything. ANYTHING.

• jeri says

How cool that you actually respond to everyone’s messages. You don’t have to respond to this, I just wanted you to know that I think it’s cool.

Thanks, Jeri! I try to respond when I can. I feel like if people spend time to comment on my blog, the least I can do is respond to their comment. But sometimes, life just gets in the way. :)

to start, this is one of my most favorite blogs on the internet. You have a great writing voice.

And I love this post! You have really touched on something that I have been thinking about too – I have recently lost about 45 pounds eating whole foods and a good amount of healthy fats, which people can’t seem to understand. I know people who will scarf down a scone and frapp for breakfast, and then ask if my cholesterol is high when I eat a hard boiled egg. Argh!

You rock! Keep writing!

I’m definitely into the HAES framework. Let’s just focus on being healthy!

Thanks, Eliz! I HATE the whole “fat will make me fat!” thing. It’s so antiquated and the judgement that comes from the movement is everywhere. I actually quite like fat, thank you very much.

I loved this post so very much!! I agree with it all – right down to the Gilmore Girls references. :) I admit, watching that show I thought about how I wished I could eat like that and not gain a pound…but do I really wish that?! No, not really. On vacation this past week I ate like a pig (no pun intended for this post!), and my body’s feeling it.

On another side note semi-related to this, something I’ve noticed is that people who are smaller than average often receive a lot of hurtful comments about weight as well. Someone I am close to is considered “below average” in terms of their weight for their height (but they’re still healthy), and they would actually like to gain weight in order to reach the “normal” range. It just doesn’t happen for them due to their metabolism. So when people constantly bug them saying, “Gosh, I wish I could eat like you and stay skinny” it’s actually offensive.

I think that regardless of whether we’re big, medium or small, people need to stop comparing weight and just worry about themselves. Am I eating the best possible things for my body? Am I doing what I need to in order to be healthy? As much as it’s important to care about others other than ourselves, in this particular case I think sometimes it’s better to look inward and worry about ourselves first.

YES! I totally agree about the other side of the spectrum, too. I obviously have one perspective, but I know many slender women get the exact same kind of comments and judgements. I have a good friend who gets told to “Eat a sandwich” all the time. And she eats a lot more than I do! Girl can shovel it in.

In general, I just want us to all stop making judgements based on food and size!

Oh geez, you’re absolutely right. In the end, just because a thin person can eat junk without gaining weight doesn’t mean she’s not making herself and her body unhealthy. There are several conditions which one can get from unhealthy eating which do not involve obesity. In the end I suppose it’s simply about the fact that so much is said about how dangerous it is for your health to be overweight and obese, but thin people can be equally unhealthy even if you can see it physically.

Yup! The focus for so long as been on “OBESITY IS BAD” that I think it’s sent the totally wrong message. It’s not the literal weight that you should be necessarily fighting, but the poor habits that often (but not always!) come along with obesity.

Wow – I read this this morning, and came back to comment – and see 95 comments! You hit a nerve. I had to write because I was thinking of you as I was in the drive-thru window at KFC feeling guilty to be there! I hate that I feel guilt about anything I eat – I know I’m not perfect, and I exercise, eat well, and go off the edge now and again. I just try to have the good food outweigh the bad. But why, then, do allow myself to feel bad, and hope not to be seen in a drive thru line?
    As far as bacon – I live 260 miles from Portland, OR, home of Voodoo Doughnuts – home of the bacon-maple bar! Heaven on earth! I had one after I ran a 15K, and plan to have one after my marathon in October! No guilt when eaten AFTER I’ve done something – but then again, why should I feel this sense of checks and balances? Sometimes I just want to sit and eat junk and watch a movie and NOT do anything to earn my snacks.
    You really outdid yourself on this blog -it should be submitted to a broader audience – who else do you write for? Go for it!

I despise feeling guilty about food. Whatever it is! The rare times I do buy a Mountain Dew or Combos (YUM!) I am always terrified I’m going to run into someone and they are going to see me eating bad food. Of course, those are MY issues. Things I need to recover from.

And I keep hearing about Voodoo Doughnuts!

America has such a completely skewed relationship with food. We really do. And honestly, it’s saddening. It’s sad that I spend an hour in Wal-Mart (which I usually avoid, preferring to find ways to fit my budget at other stores just because of the crowds) and all I walk away with are non-perishables because they think it’s okay to have the produce literally MOLDING in the cases, but the line for the fried foods at the deli is 15 people long! How is that okay?

And I love pinterest, but I had to stop clicking on the food topic because of the one-up-manship that came with it. Even if you searched for something healthy, you still ended up with “healthy” brownies wrapped in cookies covered in reese’s alternatives which aren’t healthy at all because they’re made with processed chemical “food” that isn’t really food at all!

YES. YES! The Walmart thing! We were in Meijer yesterday and there was an obscene aisle of no-name potato chips, but they organic produce section was so sad.

And I really wish Pinterest broke down their categories a little more. The Food & Drink section is 95% obnoxious desserts. Which is great, for the one time of year when you need an obnoxious dessert, not so great for the other 364 days.

42. Zoe says

Lets not forget the awful “Oh, you’re Jewish and don’t eat bacon? Your entire life is wrong.”

Obviously, the double standard about women is much more disturbing, but I am SO effing sick of all the hipster bacon crap. And yes I’m Jewish, and I get so tired of because I don’t eat bacon sundaes/bacon donuts/bacon m&ms or Mt. Dew or whatthefuckever bacon non-food is being pushed these days, I can’t ever be a foodie or an adventurous eater.

43. MidTad says

I don’t read many blogs, I don’t look at pinterest, I don’t tweet, I don’t have time (I am a 43 year old working mom mom of a 14 and 10 year old) but I do read your blog – this post is why!

<3 I don't think I've ever commented on your blog but I wanted to say that yours is one of my absolute favorites and even though I have this weird thing where I have to read the blogs in order on my reader, I always skip to yours when I see it. :)

I guess I am your stereotypical "slender" food blogger who makes bacon chocolate chip cookies and talks about how I ate the entire batch. (Which I did.) Do I get judged less because I'm "thin"? I have no idea – I've never had anyone comment about it which I guess answers the question. I don't think anyone has a right to shame others for eating what they want and honestly, if someone decided to school me on what I should/shouldn't be eating, they'd probably get a pretty nasty email in return. Eating is an incredibly personal thing and we all have a right to make those decisions for ourselves. Maybe I don't agree with what you (general you) put in your body, but it's not my flippin' body so I'm not going to spend my time worried about it.

Anyway, I just woke up so I have no idea if that made any sense. I eat a slice of bacon before my workouts. It's easy, gives me some protein to get going, and doesn't make me want to puke. Bacon is good. :)

Thank you so much, Amanda! I think you are totally right about shaming. Not only do people not have the right, but it’s also totally not productive! I’ve never met anyone who changed their eating habits because they were shamed into it.

I haven’t read through all the comments so I’m sure I’ll be repeating what others have said. I agree with you. Celebrating unhealthful eating, or thinking it’s cute/trendy/whatever is not cool. I don’t care if the person eating the food is fat, skinny, old, or young, bacon and other unhealthy foods shouldn’t be put on any sort of pedestal. Is it okay to eat them and indulge sometimes, no matter what your size? Sure. But leave it at that. It’s not hip; it’s not admirable in any way. It’s a part of life. No one eats a perfect diet all the time and that’s fine. I’m so completely sick of the infatuation with bacon. Get over it, already.

That is such an awesome post, Lesley! Thanks for sending it along. So many great points are made. :) I love the part about how we can’t know by just looking at food if it’s healthy or not. And even so, something might look healthier if it’s being eaten by a slim person versus an overweight person. Fascinating!

46. Bobbi says

I was JUST having this conversation with someone the other day. I’m a size 18/20. I’m not small, never have been and I dream but probably never will be. Most days I’m okay with that.

It’s AH-DORABLE when a super thin friend eats two plates of food at a bbq but I eat a hamburger, no bun, AND a piece of bbq chicken and it’s like “Shew girl, we gotta get on a diet tomorrow.” WHY!?!?!? Why do thin people get to eat until their heart is content but I don’t? Don’t our arteries clog the same way?!

Ugh! Food judging in general is just…horrible. It’s horrible that we’ve, as a society, made food something to feel guilty about. It tastes good for a reason. We are supposed to enjoy it!

47. Michele Olson says

Bravo Cassie!!! I loved this blog so much I made my fiance listen as I read it out loud to him. You just made me realize that I’ve been giving him excuses to eat like crap just because he ‘only’ needs to lose about 30 pounds where I need to lose about 100. I excuse him for eating crap food while I am eating healthy because ‘he’s not the one who needs to 100 pounds’. I need to stop doing that. Double Standard.

I’m guilty of doing it, too. I’ll serve Babyface a bigger portion while giving myself something smaller, even though I probably need more calories than he does!

Cassie…another great article and you make so many points that really hit home for me. I hate that double standard, but what I hate even more is that I wish that I were thin so that then I COULD eat whatever I want and not worry about what someone will think when I am …eating at a public event…buying food in the grocery store…That’s pretty sad. I try to eat 80/20 but because I’m heavier, people assume I know nothing about good food choices. Most of the time I want to say, “hey I know a LOT more about good food choices than you, you fool” hello, let’s compare grocery carts…mine full of fruits and veggies, dairy…yours filled with processed boxed items! DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!
    Okay, end of rant! I guess I really needed to vent my frustrations as well. I think many people feel this type of double standard and appreciate reading a commentary that points its finger to the wrongness of this by our society.
    As always, I love your blog and keep on doing what your doing!
    **I love Gilmore Girls too and I also think to myself…NO TWO people could eat as much as they do and be as thin as they are :) Just re-watched the Movie Night with Dean and still can’t get over all the junk food!

I constantly worry that people are judging me for my food choices, especially in the grocery store. And to be honest, I’m guilty of it too. More than once I’ve looked at a mother with a bunch of kids and a cartful of junk food and though, “If only she knew…’ but really, who am I to judge her?

49. Julia says

Thank you for this post. This post (for me) spoke less to how other people make assumptions about my weight and my choices, and more about how I’m constantly reacting and acting in fear of those assumptions (even when they aren’t even happening), and how I make those very assumptions myself! I’m constantly watching how I behave in front of other people just waiting for how they might judge me. I’ll deny myself a treat at the grocery store thinking “if I buy this, the check-out person is going to think this is why I’m fat”. And even worse, I’m constantly partaking in this double-standard with regard to the way my slender boyfriend and I eat. I’ll whine that he “gets” to eat treats because he’s skinny, but I can’t because I’m fat. I’ll insist he take much bigger portions and sometimes deny myself full meals because I don’t “get” to eat like he does. Like it’s some sort of gift he’s been granted and I’m missing out on – the power of skinny.

I do the same thing! I give my husband larger portions because he “can” eat it. Which isn’t right. I “can” eat it too!

When I started thinking about a theme for my blog, I quickly pushed the health and fitness idea to the side. I eat pretty healthy and I love working out but sometimes I don’t.

Sometimes I enjoy creating the most cheese dripped, meat stuffed sandwich possible. I can go a week without working out.

I knew I would feel some sort of guilt if I were to eat from the Burger King window. Also, I’m not your typical single digit blogger. I felt that I wouldn’t be taken seriously.

Reading about your experience sadly confirmed my suspicions. I think it’s unfortunate women are judge so harshly on their size. When are we going to get over this?

I love writing a health and fitness blog that shows the “real” side of it. And I hope people appreciate it, too. There are way too many perfect health and fitness bloggers out there (or, at the very least, all they project on their blog is perfection). It just isn’t realistic.

I’m not sure we’re ever going to get over it. Which makes me so, so sad.

51. Nicole Marie says

COMPLETELY agree with this post! Drives me nuts. The idea that it’s ok for skinny people to chow down on junk but not overweight people is just mind boggling to me. It basically just encourages the idea that the way you look is more important than taking care of yourself and being health. So crazy!

52. wendy r. says

Cassie –

Thank you for writing what clearly so many of us feel (based on the comments here alone). The double standards that are in every aspect of our lives seem to be punctuated by those that we impose on our eating habits – it’s such a raw nerve for so many of us, so many of us that have struggled through the last (goodnessonlyknowshowmany) pounds multiple times.

We judge ourselves and others, and yet we are the only ones who carry the sum total of our life experiences.

Thank you for sharing yours.

Love this. Sharing it.

I just started Weight Watchers two weeks ago, and had no idea that BK had come out with a bacon sundae..now I may need to change my route home so I’m not tempted to blow a week’s worth of points.

First time reading your blog, glad I found it! Rock on.

I just had to chime in to say I totally agree! It makes no sense at all. No one eats 100% “clean” all the time anyways. Whatever that even means, because it’s different for everyone. Everyone needs treats and has special occasions and no one should be judged for those! Thank you so much for writing this!

By the time I got to the end of your post, I was fist-pumping along with you. Way to say it, sister!! And thank you!

By the way, have you ever tried kale braised with bacon? It’s delicious. :)

Your blog is a great new find for me, looking forward to more.

I was talking about this at my Bootcamp class tonight (in which none of us are skinnies, but all are attempting to be healthies). One of the other women (there are four of us) commented that she forgot her workout clothes at home, so she ran to Target on her lunch break to get workout clothes.

Only, they don’t MAKE workout clothes for people who are qualified as plus-size (aka, average).

Oh, the irony!

They don’t make workout clothes for those women who they implore on every tv show known to man to ‘get moving’. The articles in every magazine you read often say ‘get yourself a new workout outfit to kick your new regimen off right’…only, what if you don’t FIT into the cute workout clothes and are, instead, relegated to wearing the tent-like t-shirts you’re trying to hard to un-embrace?

I cannot believe people actually take time to email you and give you crap about posting what I call “indulgent” recipes!!! I call them “indulgent” recipes…not “every-day” recipes for a reason…you don’t freakin’ eat them everyday! I’m sorry you have to be put through that crap and it’s definitely not fair! I love all of your posts…keep ’em up.

58. Aryana says

I think it’s equally bad when skinny and larger people eat unhealthily ALL the time, but I don’t think it’s bad for people of either body type to treat themselves every once and a while. I do agree that there is a double standard in the media and the world around us that skinny people can eat unhealthily all they want and larger people shouldn’t, because the culture is completely focused on image, and the image being currently touted is a skinny one. So people that are naturally skinny are usually left alone as far as badgering goes about nutrition because they’ve already “arrived”.

However, I believe that being healthy is more important than being skinny, so I don’t really think its okay for people of either body type to live completely unhealthy lifestyles..both should take care of their bodies and live a healthy lifestyle.