130 calorie chocolate peanut butter microwave cake

As you guys know, I’m a huge fan of microwave cakes. In fact, it seems like everyone is, considering my peanut butter cake and Nutella cake are two of the most popular recipes on the blog. And for good reason. Those suckers are delicious! And oh so easy. In fact, those two recipes are probably even my most used recipes on the blog.

Well, friends, I’ve come up with another one! I was really interested in making a lower calorie/lighter version of my standard cakes. Thanks to inherent portion control, both the peanut butter cake and Nutella cake are pretty low-calorie already—clocking in at between 200-250 calories a pop, but I wanted something even better. I wanted something that could fit into even the strictest of calorie budgets. I wanted something that would give you a nice dose of decadence without wrecking a whole day of hard work. And thus, the 130 calorie chocolate peanut butter microwave cake was born.

To get that calorie mark, I had to use some speciality ingredients. What is so loveable about the other two microwave cakes is that pretty much everything you need is on hand, not the case with this one. The calorie count is lowered dramatically thanks to the use of powdered peanut butter. If you’ve never had powdered peanut butter before, basically it’s dehydrated peanut butter. The vast majority of the fat and calories are taken away, leaving the delicious peanut butter-y flavor and a hefty dose of protein. A regular serving of peanut butter (two tablespoons) clocks in at 180 calories. Two tablespoons of powdered peanut butter? 45 calories. Boo-yah. Just mix it with a little bit of water and you’ve got yourself low-cal peanut butter. Yum! It’s a great alternative for those peanut butter-a-holics out there.  I really like PB2 brand, but there are others available as well. Trader Joe’s used to carry an amazing and cheap version, but they discontinued it last summer. Lame. But if you can find powdered peanut butter in store or online, it’s definitely worth trying out. We almost always have a jar of it in our pantry.

The second slightly-odd ingredient this recipe uses is liquid egg whites. You can buy these at pretty much any grocery store, but they can be a little hard to find. Look near the egg substitutes and you should see a small carton. These are great because they are a great way to get in the protein and low-calorie aspects of egg whites, without having to separate eggs or wasting the yolks. We almost always have a carton of this in our fridge. They are a great way to boost the protein of any egg dish, without adding many calories.

Again, just like I did with the other cakes, here is a disclaimer about undercooked eggs: if eating raw eggs skeeves you out, cook the cake for longer. I like my cakes a little gooey and that’s what the time suggestion below results in. And I’m willing to test my luck to eat a yummy, gooey, decadent cake. To completely nix your chances of salmonella or food poisoning, cook until the cake is dry and spongey.  Alright, enough of that, let’s cake it up.

130 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Microwave Cake

by Cassie Johnston

Prep Time: 30 seconds

Cook Time: 40 seconds

Makes: 1 serving

• 2 tablespoons powdered peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons liquid egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon water

1. Whisk together all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well combined. Transfer to a microwave-safe ramekin, mug or bowl.
  2. Microwave at 70% for 40 seconds, or until the cake is cooked to your desired gooey-ness. Remember, microwave power levels very dramatically. The first time making a microwave cake, keep a close eye as to not over-cook the cake.

Nutritional Info

132 calories, 3.6g fat, 17.2g carbs (2.1g fiber, 12.1g sugars), 10.5g protein

Powered by Recipage

Have you ever had powdered peanut butter before? What’d you think?

• Natalie says

Hrm, I wonder that too. I know almond meals sucks up a lot of moisture but maybe the powdered PB does too?

It’s worth a shot! I’ve never had almond meal before. But PB2 definitely soaks up a lot of moisture.

• Teresa says

I just tried it and it works. I used 3 Tbsp of almond meal and eliminated the flour. I also added an extra tablespoon of water. Worked wonderfully and had a lovely nutty flavor. Note that this does increase the calorie count on the recipe since the PB2 has half the calories of the almond meal per tablespoon. Still comes in under 200 which is great for cake.

Um, YUM! They make chocolate PB2 also (and I’m trying to use it up because I don’t like it as much as regular) so I’m going to give that a whirl. Maybe it will be even more chocolate deliciousness!

Yummy! I’ve actually never had powdered peanut butter! I should order some to try it out because I’ve never seen it locally :( I know I’ll love it. Going to bookmark this for when I do get some :)

i’ve been crossing my fingers that you would post this recipe. you had mentioned before about how you had personally tweaked the microwave peanut butter cake (which i make ALL the time) using PB2 for lower calories. and…while the original version is delicious for a saturday night – this one – this one i could even eat and not feel guilty about on a monday! perfect.

Yup! It’s definitely a “weeknight” kinda dessert! It’s a good way to help make a crappy workday better. :)

4. Angela says

I had never heard of PB2 until you posted this recipe. Promptly ordered it the same day. We go through A LOT of peanut butter in my house. This stuff is amazing! Same peanut flavor but so much less fat and calories. I’ve been using it for a few days in my morning protein shakes. Thanks for helping me to cut down on my calorie intake without having to change my routine!

5. Kp says

Have made this 3 nights in a row. I made a drizzle icing by mixing another tsp pb2 with a couple tbs powdered sugar and some coconut milk. Definitely adds to the calorie count, but so very worth it!

Powdered peanut butter? I’ve never heard of it till now. I really like powdered foods, so I’l have to try it out! They are really portable. I have powdered hummus that I like to keep in my purse because it doesn’t need to be fridgerated. I can just add some water when I’m ready to chow down.

Hey! I just made this, but, wanting to avoid the AP flour subbed a quarter of a medium banana and omitted the water. I just microwaved the banana to get it a bit liquidy, mixed it up real well, and it came out wonderful! Thanks for the awesome recipe :)

8. Karen T says

I don’t know you, but I love you! This cake was amazing! I have been trying to dial back the calories and usually just have a yogurt in the evening. This was way, way, way more satisfying. Thank you!