what i ate wednesday: not what i want

Sometimes, you just want a beer, a hunk of cheesecake and some macaroni and cheese. Not necessarily in that order. Today was one of those days. I really wanted to indulge in some old school junk food, but I resisted. We have a big meal out planned for this upcoming weekend and I’m saving my splurging for that. 80/20 and all that. So for now, I eat clean. For now.

1. Breakfast: Two poached eggs over a slice of sprouted grain toast. On the side, I had a bowl of Greek yogurt mixed with PB2 and chia seeds and topped with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
  2. Morning Snack: Remember when I told you guys how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg? Well I failed miserably this week. I totally forgot about them and they sat in the hot water for over an hour. Gray yolk is gray. Alongside my sad HBE, I had some fresh pineapple, a sliced peach and a couple of dates.
  3. Lunch: A big pile of farro salad with some watermelon and chocolate on the side.
  4. Afternoon Snack: Chocolate protein pudding! It’s like dessert, but with 100% more good-for-you-ness. This recipe will show up on the Anytime Health blog in the next few weeks.
  5. Dinner: Turkey Florentine Meatballs with a side of marinara for dipping, plus some steamed green beans on the side. And then a small pour of red wine for sipping.

What’s the best thing you’ve eaten so far this week?

Mac and cheese is definitely one of my weakness/comfort foods. The problem is, I never just want a *little* mac and cheese. I want a GIANT BOWL. Yum!

1. Amanda Richards says

I made your turkey meatballs the other night. I have a extra bag of them in the freezer and left over meat mix in the fridge for when I have time to make the calzones. I didn’t realize how much work it was going to take to make the meatballs. lol Didn’t help that I didn’t have the right size mixing bowls and so I had to divide it between two random bowls. :) They are pretty yummy though! My picky four year old even had a few.

They are one of our favorites, Jessie! We make a bunch, freeze ‘em and then they are ready to eat after just a few minutes in a hot skillet. Yum!

2. Karen says

# 2 had me laughing… I was like, “Hey, wait a minute!?” I have a confession, I would’ve tossed the yolks in the trash and made “egg white salad”. Grey yolks, bleh -But good for you, no food waste here!

O.T. I have a favor and I know you’re super busy, will you recreate TJ’s spicy ranchero egg-white salad? I love it but the price kills me. It’s so yummy. If you haven’t tried it, please do! Thank you.

Yeah, they are massive egg failures. And I did it to a WHOLE DOZEN. I can’t wait to get through them. Blech.

I will pick up the salad when I go to TJ’s tomorrow! :D

Your title says it all! I’m back to calorie counting this week and as soon as I can’t have it, all I want is a nice glass of wine with a decadent dessert. Instead, I have tea… My splurge this week was homemade chicken parm! We baked instead of fried to help (a little!).

4. Jessica says

I laughed at #2 as well. I went to cooking school years ago and learned how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg. I tell everyone I know about the great little trick. As I’m looking at your pics I was wondering how your yolk could look that way after being in culinary school! So silly I know…

Congrats on dodging the cravings!