noodleless zucchini mushroom lasagna
Since we started following The Skinny Rules, I’ve been learning all kinds of interesting and creative ways to avoid carb-heavy dishes for dinner. It’s actually been a lot of fun to accept the challenge of skipping grains at dinner. I didn’t quite realize how much we relied on carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes, quinoa, etc.) for the base of dinner. I’m not anti-carb (no way, no how!) but I definitely am hyper-aware just how carb-heavy my diet was before. I’m all about balance, and balanced I was not.
I’m amazed at how many interesting, creative and super healthy ways there are to reduce the number of carbs you eat. Have you tried making mashed cauliflower? It tastes just like mashed potatoes! Or did you get a chance to test out flax-crust pizza? Tons of fiber, low carbs and absolutely delicious! And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. And now I’ve graduated to making a noodleless lasagna.
I guess, technically, it’s not noodleless. It just has a noodle substitute! I grabbed some farm stand zucchini, sliced it thin and layered it with mushrooms, flavored ricotta and marinara sauce. The zucchini bakes up tender, but firm, and works perfectly as a fake noodle.
I think Italian dishes like this are a great way to introduce healthier eating to someone new to the world. I don’t care how much of a veggie-hater, meat-lover you have on your hands, if you slather some veggies in delicious sauce and gooey cheese, I doubt they’re going to complain. For those people who are desperately in need of some carbs, a nice crunchy hunk of garlic bread would work amazingly to sop up the leftover sauce from your lasagna slice.
Noodleless Zucchini Mushroom Lasagna
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large zucchini, sliced into thin planks
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant and tender. Add in mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, egg, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread a small amount of marinara sauce in the bottom of an 11″ x 13″ baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the zucchini slices on top of the marinara sauce, followed by 1/2 of the mushroom mixture, 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the marinara and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat another layer and then end with a final layer of zucchini, marinara and cheese.
- Bake in preheated over for about an hour, or until bubbly and the cheese is browned. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.