You guys know that I’m kinda little bit obsessed with microwave cakes (or mug cakes as some folks call them). I think they are a great, healthy way to have a sweet treat. Because of the high yield, baking can be a dangerous task for people trying to watch what they eat. Even those of us with iron-clad willpower (not me!) will have a hard time turning down those three dozen cookies or that whole cake sitting in the kitchen.
That’s why I LOVE these microwave cakes. You get all the sweetness and treatness of a baked good and inherent portion control. There are no worries about overindulging.
Last week, Tori chimed in on Facebook asking if I had the hookup for a good pumpkin microwave cake recipe. I hadn’t seen a recipe anywhere, but I knew right then it was definitely time for me to get back to slaving over a hot microwave.
After just a few tweaks to my classic peanut butter cake recipe, I had a perfectly Fall and pumpkin-y treat. This one was so crazy good. One of the issues with microwave cakes is that you have to watch so carefully to make sure they don’t dry out, but the pumpkin puree in this cake keeps it moist, gooey and totally delicious.
The perfect Fall evening? Curled up under a cozy throw on the couch with a mug of coffee, a good book and this cake. Happy Autumn, friends!
One Minute Pumpkin Spice
Prep Time: 30 seconds
Cook Time: 50 seconds
Makes: 1 serving
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extra
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon plus a pinch of nutmeg and ground cloves)
- Maple syrup for drizzling, optional
- Spray a ramekin, mug or microwave-safe bowl with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, baking powder, flour, pumpkin, vanilla and spices.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekin. Microwave at 70% power for 50 seconds or until cake is cooked through. Drizzle with maple syrup.
Serving size: 1 cake (full recipes)
Nutrition per serving (not including maple syrup): 169 calories; 5.3g fat (2.5g sat, 1.0g poly, 2.0g mono); 27.8g carbs (1.5g fiber, 19.7g sugars); 7.5g protein
Want to check out my other microwave cakes?
- One Minute Peanut Butter Cake
- 90 Second Nutella Chocolate Cake
- 130 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake