greek yogurt s’mores
I’m a big fan of dessert. I’ve heard there are people out there that don’t like sweets but I’ve never met any (and I’m not sure I want to). When you have a sweet tooth as pervasive as mine, it’s important to figure out ways to moderate your dessert consumption. My biggest issue with dessert is sheer volume. I’ve had my fair share of nights that involved a bottle of wine, Netflix and an entire bags of chocolate chips.
I wish I was kidding.
So as I bump along this curvy and unpredictable path called “healthy living”, I’ve started to realize that my relationship with dessert is healthiest when my desserts have two qualities—cleaned up and inherently portion controlled. I’ll never quit loving sweets, but by making sure I make them as clean as possible and keep my sweet eating to a reasonable level, desserts can be part of my everyday healthy lifestyle. If chocolate is wrong, I don’t want to be right.
This s’mores recipe is another in a long line of cleaned-up desserts in my repertoire. By pairing lighter desserts like these s’mores with a nice stash of high-quality dark chocolate to snack on during the week, I can pretty much starve off any chocolate chip and wine binges. Those often came when I forced myself to have no sweets for days at a time, and then, as it always did, the boomerang came back three-fold and I found myself at the bottom of a yellow Nestle bag. It can be so hard to believe when you are living in the midst of disordered eating, but moderation really is the key to everything.
These s’mores definitely aren’t the sticky, sugary sweet treats you remember from your childhood camping trips. Those definitely have their place in a lifestyle of moderation, but this version is what I call an “everyday dessert”. A special treat that you could eat nearly daily without messing up your healthy lifestyle.
The Greek yogurt in these makes them so interestingly tangy! And the combo of that tang with the peanut butter and chocolate is absolutely incredible. Enjoy!
Greek Yogurt S’mores
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 s’mores
- 8 graham cracker squares, divided
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat broiler to high. Spread 1/4 of the peanut butter on each of four graham crackers, set crackers on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt and honey. Divide yogurt evenly between the four graham crackers.
- In another small bowl, whisk together cocoa and milk until smooth. Divide evenly over yogurt on graham crackers.
- Place under preheated broiler for about 5 minutes until everything is melted and warmed. Place remaining graham crackers on top and serve immediately.