dark chocolate coconut frozen yogurt
I know, I know. Who posts a frozen yogurt recipe in January? It’s supposed to get down to 9° tonight, and I’m posting an ice cream recipe. Timing has never been my strong suit.
This foray into summer madness came to be thanks to some dental work I had last week. As I was strapped down to a chair getting my teeth poked and prodded, Craig drove across the street to the grocery store to pick us up something to make for dinner. Being the amazing, thoughtful husband he is, he also tossed two pints of gelato into his cart. Because chewing things after having your jaw pried open for two hours is never fun.
The gelato flavors? Dark chocolate and coconut. Which we mixed together into the most perfect of creamy treat. It tasted like someone took a Mounds bar and make it 1000 times better and in frozen treat form. I knew I had to try my hand at making my own healthier version of this gelato cocktail. Hence the whole frozen yogurt in January thing.
I’m not exaggerating when I say this quite possibly might be the best thing that’s come out of my ice cream maker. It rivals the Sweet Corn Ice Cream Extravaganza of 2011. Why? Well, the flavor is perfect, but the real amazingness of this recipe comes from how creamy, smooth and rich the frozen yogurt is. I’ve never had great success with perfecting fro-yo at home, but this recipe knocked it out of the park. They key was using half yogurt and half coconut milk. The best ice cream recipes I’ve made at home include a heckload of heavy cream, eggs and a ton of sugar. This recipe managed to be creamy, decadent and, gasp, healthy(ish).
I can’t wait to make this recipe in the summer. When it’s actually seasonally appropriate to eat frozen yogurt. And when I don’t have to bundle up under three sweaters and a blanket to enjoy it.
Dark Chocolate Coconut Frozen Yogurt
Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 8–1/2 cup servings
- 1-14 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional, gives fuller coconut flavor)
- 1-1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk, honey, cocoa, and cornstarch until blended. Turn on heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips, coconut, coconut extract, and salt. Continue stirring until chocolate chips have melted.
- Chill chocolate mixture in fridge until completely chilled—about 3 hours.
- Once cold, whisk in the yogurt and then process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions for frozen yogurt.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can also freeze the mixture, stirring every 30 minutes. The end result will be harder and icier, but still delicious!
Per 1/2 cup serving