what i ate wednesday: leftovers
Good morning, my friends! I know we’ve chatted about it on here before, but I can’t believe there are people out there who don’t like leftovers. Leftovers are my favorite. Not only do they often taste better the next day, but they make food prep so easy. Like take for example this day of eats—I did almost no cooking. Why? Well, I cleaned the kitchen in the morning and deemed it “closed” for the rest of the day. We still ate great and managed to keep the kitchen spotless thanks to leftovers. Yum!
- For breakfast, I blended up a smoothie using my immersion blender. Thanks to everyone who suggested trying it when I confessed that I had broken my regular blender (again). It works like a charm! In fact, I had totally forgotten that my immersion blender came with a cup for blending stuff like smoothies and sauces. It works perfectly. Maybe even better than my regular blender ever did. Woohoo! In the mix in this smoothie: frozen banana, coconut almond milk, unsweetened (homemade!) kefir, peanut butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds, ground flax seed, and half a scoop of unsweetened protein powder. I also had a clementine on the side. I’m going to be so sad when clementine season is over.
- Craig and I made a mid-Monday drive up north to buy garden fence supplies with my Dad, so I packed myself a lunch that was backseat-edible. I made a salad with our leftovers from the previous night’s tacos—lettuce, tomatoes, sliced black olives, cilantro, green onions, seasoned chicken, salsa, refried beans, cheddar cheese and a few tortilla chips. For dessert, I had a banana Chobani. So yum! I highly recommend the new flavors. The banana is great, but the pear? Out. Of. This. World.
- On the drive back from our fence-purchasing, I snacked on a hard-boiled egg and some fruit—a clementine, a few strawberries and some blueberries.
- For dinner, we heated up some leftover chicken noodle soup. I was feeling pretty sniffly for a few days, and I’m a total cliché and always make myself chicken noodle soup when I’m feeling sick. Along side, I had a piece of leftover cornbread. Yum!
- For dessert, I whipped up a Nutella Chocolate Cake in the microwave. This was my Lundi Gras last dessert hurrah before my Lent promise went into effect. As of today, I’m sugar-free! Along side the cake, I had a mug of decaf coffee with a splash of half and half and maple syrup. I’m really happy to report that coffee is now back to an every-now-and-again kinda treat for me. Which is how I like it! Woohoo!
- We ate dinner pretty early, so later, while we were catching up on back episodes of 1600 Penn (still not sure if I like it or not), we snacked on some air-popped popcorn. Crunchy, yummy, and only 100 calories for three cups. Such a great snack!