I know a lot of people dread their 30th birthday, but mine is coming up this summer, and I’m actually really looking forward to it. I’m finally getting to the age where I feel the number fits with my personality. I had the typical college girl, go-all-out, have a blast phase during my early twenties, but soon after, I got married, settled down and kinda outgrew the 2-0s. I’m happy to get to jump into a decade that seems to gel with my lifestyle a bit more.
That all being said, the fact that three-oh is a giant, huge birthday hasn’t been lost on me. So many of my friends that have already crossed the threshold into the 30s have told me how good the thirties are. You’re still young and have energy. But you also have the wisdom and confidence that can only come with a few extra orbits around the sun under your belt. It’s like this upcoming birthday of mine is the gate to a really awesome upcoming time in my life.
So to make sure I go into that new era feeling the best I can physically, mentally and emotionally, I thought it’d be fun to compile a list of 30 things I want to accomplish before I turn 30 years old. I’ve seen folks do these lists before and always thought it was such a fun idea. My 30th birthday is exactly four months from today, and I think using the next 16 weeks as a way to focus on making myself the best me I can be, is pretty much the best birthday gift I could give myself.
Ready for the list? I have to admit, compiling this was hard. I wanted tasks that were both meaningful and achievable (after all, it is only four months away). Striking that balance was a toughy, but I’m excited about the final list! Some are big. Some are small. And some are totally random (making sausage, anyone?).
1. Do a double-digit mileage hike.
2. Go see a movie in the theatre.
3. Learn how to make sausages.
4. Go technology-free for 24 hours.
5. Read five books.
6. Hike Clifty Falls.
7. Watch five movies on the IMDB Top 250 that I’ve never seen before.
8. Paint our cabinets.
9. Make my own tonic water.
10. Drink 10 new-to-me beers.
16. Redesign BTHR to be prettier and responsive-y-er.
17. Start a mushroom garden.
18. Lose 15 pounds.
19. Buy a pair of jeans I feel great in.
20. Bake the perfect cherry pie.
26. Work out everyday for 30 straight days.
27. Go camping for a weekend.
28. Go fishing.
29. Have a picnic in the Clark State Forest and climb the fire tower.
30. Travel to somewhere I’ve never been before.