what i ate wednesday: rut

I feel like I’m in a serious food rut. I know 99% of it is due to the season, but man, I’m dreaming of the days when I can make caprese salads out of fresh heirloom tomatoes and basil from the garden. I’m jonesin’ something fierce. I know I could make a caprese anytime I want, but for a caprese to be really incredible, I feel like it needs really incredible basil and really incredible tomatoes and that just doesn’t happen until July. Mostly, I think I’m just wishing for fresh, light foods. I’m sick of pulling things from the freezer or the pantry. I’m overloaded on carbs. Someone bring summer, fast!

1. I tried my hand at making a kefir bowl (as opposed to a yogurt bowl). It was good, but the kefir is a little too…cheesy…to work well in this form. I still ate it, of course. Along with the kefir, I had Grape Nuts, a clementine, some strawberries, some chia seeds and some sunflower kernels.
  2. I wasn’t really in the mood for lunch-lunch, so I pulled together a snacky tasting plate for lunch. A rye crisp with some peanut butter, some carrots, a few tomatoes, a hard-boiled egg, some roasted chicken, a slice of cheese, half a banana and a few apple slices.
  3. Tea time! I’ve gotten in the habit of pausing my day early each afternoon, sipping on some tea and doing a bit of reading. It’s nice.
  4. I made us a big batch of hummus, and I had to do some quality control, so I made a little plate of crackers and veggie dippers for an afternoon snack.
  5. I realized Babyface was working late and dinner was still hours away, so I whipped myself up a smoothie. In the mix: kefir, banana, peanut butter, chia seeds, unsweetened protein powder.
  6. Dinner was some cheese tortellini from the freezer, topped with some homemade alfredo and garlic-sauteed kale. It sounds pretty delicious, but it was actually pretty meh. Too heavy and (if there is such a thing) too cheesy for me. Considering my deep-seated love for all things carbs, pasta and cheese, the fact that I couldn’t finish this bowl is definitely a sign I’m ready for spring and lighter fare.

What’s the best thing you’ve eaten so far this week?

I’m right there with you. Yesterday I was fantasizing about tomatoes from the Farmer’s Market. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a colorful produce stand. I NEED SUMMER NOW, PLEASE.

2. Laurel says

What recipe do you use for hummus? There is such a huge variety out there. I can never tell what will be the best!

I love the taste and texture of unsweetened Spiru-tein (I use vanilla), but honestly, the ingredients aren’t 100% “real food”, which I convenitely ignore every time I make a smoothie because it makes my smoothie so smooth and creamy. I do have plans in the works to make my own protein powder. :)

I’ve been totally digging snack plates when I’m home on the weekends for lunch lately. It’s perfect for my indecisive palate. And we must be on the same brainwave because I made some hummus this week. Mine didn’t turn out fabulous because I wasn’t paying attention and forgot to save the liquid from the beans to add in later and had to use water. Oops! Best thing I’ve eaten this week? Some veggie and rice burritos!

4. Nicole says

How can this be the dregs of the year? Rutabaga and parsnip mash with roasted garlic! Roasted cauliflower! Beet, carrot and apple juice! I spend half my summer waiting for these to be fresh and in season. As jealous as I am of the garden you’ll have next summer, I’d gladly trade half that for the winter stuff available now that I won’t be able to get then.

Hahaha, Nicole! I’m always really excited when that stuff first comes up, too, but I’ve been eating that for months and months and months now, so I’m ready for some fresher, lighter fare! Ask me in August and I’ll be begging for some winter squash. :)

5. Krystina says

I took a cue from you yesterday and made myself a cup of chai, sat outside and started writing a new poem. I think I’m going to carve out some time each day to do just that. :)